here for you

It had finally happened

It had finally happened. You and your boyfriend had broken up. To be honest, it wasn't a total shock to you. Within the past few months, the two of you had begun having more problems... problems that didn't seem to have any solutions. Not only were you fighting more and more often, but the relationship was also becoming incredibly toxic. Your boyfriend had become very possessive and jealous; he tried to control who you hung out with, where you were going, when you were going. He absolutely hated that Tom was your best friend, and refused to let you hang out with him, or even talk to him. You felt like a prisoner, and there was no escape.

Though you weren't sure exactly what had prompted him to break up with you, you could feel the relief that was mixed in with the other emotions as he told you that your relationship was over. You packed a bag quickly and left. Unsure of where else to go, you ended up at Tom's house, knocking on the door at midnight without notice.

You knocked frantically on Tom's door several times, waiting in the cold for him to open the door. There was the faint sound of the TV coming through the door, so you knew that Tom was home. As you raised your fist to knock on the door once more, the door opened to reveal Tom.

Tom was wearing one of his old t-shirts and his lazy-day sweatpants. He had clearly just woken up - his hair was all over the place, and the sleep was still prominent on his face. The sight of you with a bag in hand, however, seemed to wake him up, "Y/N, what are you doing here? Is everything alright?"

You'd been able to hold it together up until this point, but as soon as the words had left his lips, a sob escaped yours. Without another word, Tom drew you into his chest, hugging you close and gently pulling you inside, letting the door close behind the two of you. Your bag dropped from your hand onto the floor, both of your arms coming up to wrap around Tom's torso. The two of you stood motionless for a few moments, no sounds except for the broken sobs coming from you that were muffled by Tom's shoulder.

Tom's hand grazed up and down your back a few times before he pulled back, taking your hand in his, leading you to the couch. Once he sat down on the couch, he took a seat next to you, looking at you and waiting for you to speak. You took a few moments to gather yourself, rubbing your sleeves over your eyes and taking some deep breaths.

Once you'd collected yourself, you lifted your head to look at Tom. He was still watching you intently with a concerned look in his eyes. You couldn't help but feel a little more relaxed and comforted by his gaze. "He broke up with me. I'm sorry I woke you up, I just wasn't sure where else to go, and-"

Tom cut your rambling off quickly by shaking his head and taking your hand back into his, "No need to apologize, love. I'm always here for you, you know that." He gave you a sympathetic smile as he spoke again, "I'm sorry, Y/N. I know you'll be okay."

You nodded your head, sniffling slightly and taking another deep breath before you spoke, "I know. Honestly, I was kind of relieved, things were just getting so bad, Tommy. I don't even know why I'm crying." Tom let out a small laugh, his thumb rubbing over the back of your hand as he held it in his.

Slowly, Tom tugged you in closer to him, his other arm wrapping around your body. With a soft sigh, you let your head drop to his shoulder. He pressed a soft kiss to the top of your head, mumbling against your hair, "He doesn't deserve you. You'll find someone who treats you like the princess you are."

As Tom spoke, you lifted your head, your eyes meeting with Tom's. Affectionate moments were not uncommon between the two of you, but something felt different about this moment. You leaned in unconsciously, your forehead touching his gently. Without skipping a beat, Tom's hand came up to rest against your cheek, your eyes fluttering shut, a small smile on your lips. Tom lifted his head to press a soft kiss to the tip of your nose before his forehead was against yours again. You could feel his breath against your lips as he whispered to you, "Don't you worry, love. I'll take care of you. I'm here for you."