ultrasound

Not too long after Tom had left for filming, you were scheduled for an ultrasound appointment. You knew that you would have the opportunity to find out the gender of your baby, but you didn't want to do it without Tom there. Honestly, you were excited to see your baby again, especially since there had been more movement lately, but you were disappointed that Tom couldn't be there. You were so excited for him and proud of him, but it just wasn't the same without him there.

Your mom promised that she would go with you to the ultrasound. You were more than capable of doing it by yourself, but for one, she wanted to see, and two, she knew that you were upset that Tom was gone.

The morning of your appointment, you woke up and got ready, making your way to the doctor's office. You'd gotten a text from your mom, telling you that she was running a little bit late, but she'd be there as soon as possible. Honestly, you weren't surprised; your mom was known for always running late. You were just glad that she was going to be coming.

As you sat in the waiting room, you sent Tom a text, letting him know that you were at the appointment, and that you'd send him a picture as soon as possible. You didn't get a response, but you figured that he'd already started filming for the day and was busy. You knew he'd get back to you as soon as he could. Your mom still hadn't showed up by the time your name was called, so you let the front desk know that she would be coming to join you.

When you got to the room, you sat on the examination table, and the nurse asked you a few question before leaving to get everything for the ultrasound. You laid back on the bed and pulled out your phone to send your mom a quick text, wondering where she was. Just as you hit send, there was a knock on the door, so you put your phone away.

You expected it to be the nurse or doctor again, or maybe your mom, but instead, the door opened, and Tom was standing there. Your lips immediately turned up into a smile as you gasped, "Tom?! What are you doing here? You should be filming!"

Tom closed the door behind him as he gave you a grin and walked towards you, "I was able to get the day off. I didn't want to miss this." He leaned over you and pressed a kiss to your cheek. "I haven't missed anything, have I?"

You reached for Tom's hand and shook your head as your fingers intertwined with his. "No, I just got here. The doctor should be back soon."

He gave your hand a squeeze as he nodded, "Okay, good. I didn't want to miss something important."

As you and Tom were in the middle of discussing how filming was going, the knock at the door came again, and the doctor walked in, looking surprised to see Tom sitting there. "Oh, hello!"

"Oh, sorry, this is dad," you said, motioning to Tom before rubbing your hand across your stomach gently. Tom stood up to introduce himself and shook her hand.

You pulled your shirt up over your stomach like always as Tom took your hand in his again. Your face scrunched up at the feeling of the cold gel and you looked up at Tom, who gave you an excited smile. His thumb rubbed over your hand, both of your eyes trained on the screen. Waiting and waiting.

Moments later, the sound of your baby's heartbeat filled the room, and it brought a smile to your face. Tom's hand squeezed yours, "There's our butterfly."

You laughed a little as tears sprang to your eyes, watching the screen as the picture of your baby appeared. Tom brought your hand up in his and kissed the back of your hand as the two of you watched your little butterfly flutter and squirm around on the screen.

"Would the two of you like to find out the gender?"

You glanced up and exchanged a look with Tom. You had gone back and forth with him about whether or not you wanted to find out the gender before the baby was born. At the moment you had come to the agreement that you'd wait to find out. Without saying anything, you and Tom shook your head at the same time.

"No, that's okay," you started, "I think we want to wait." Tom nodded in agreement and squeezed your hand again.

"Well, your baby is looking healthy and on track with growth, so we're just about done here. I'll print out some pictures, and then the two of you can be on your way."

After cleaning up and wiping the gel off of your stomach, the doctor left the room, leaving you and Tom alone in the room. Tom grinned down at you, your hand still in his, squeezing it tightly. "That was so amazing!"

You laughed as Tom put the palm of his hand on your bare skin. Almost immediately, there was a small kick to where Tom's hand was placed. "I think our baby butterfly is obsessed with you, Tom."

He gave you a cheeky smile, tilting his head, "As well they should be. I'm pretty fucking amazing, Y/N."

You reached out and pushed Tom's shoulder with a laugh, your other hand cradling your bump as if you were protecting the baby from Tom's swearing, "No swearing! You are pretty amazing though, I will give you that."

Tom laughed with you, and leaned down to you again, cupping your jaw in his hands. He pressed a soft kiss to your forehead, then the tip of your nose, and each of your cheeks.

You giggled softly as your eyes closed with each kiss, "Tom, what are you doing?" He stood up again, and helped you stand up as well as you pulled your shirt back down over your stomach.

"I- I really admire you. And I appreciate what you're doing for our baby, for me, for us." His eyes were soft and his voice was quiet as he spoke. He hesitated a moment before placing his hands on your side, pulling you in closer to him. "Just..." he paused to press another kiss to your forehead, "thank you, Y/N."