Chapter13: Be The One

I stared at her mentally cursing myself once more. How could I let this happen? How could I lose control? I never do, but when it came to the unconscious beauty in front of me I could lose all ounces of. She was breathing peacefully lying on my hotel bed. Her breath steadied continuously as I just stared at her. The doctor told us that she had been suffering from many things including claustrophobia, fear of the dark and she had not eaten for a while only adding to her close to death experience. Considering the fact the only people she had not choice but to trust had only known her for a week, I think it added to her situation too. 

Unfortunately he never told us when she was going to wake up. I was edge every single day, never leaving her side. I felt as if it was my fault she got into this mess in the first place. I should have just waited and listened to what she had to say that evening. Not lock her up. This is how it's been for the past week and a bit, I would only stare at her, tracing her unknown but mesmerizing features as she laid still. Something deep down inside pulled me towards the chair beside her bed very single day. It was a deep feeling inside. Guilt? Fear? 

You're catching feelings dumbass!

I pulled my hair straining my scalps strength. No. I David Christian Gandy definitely does not.... catch feelings. It wasn't possible, I have only known her properly for almost three weeks and half of that time she wasn't even conscious. How could I catch feelings for a limp body?

Her light breaths calmed me down as I rested my head on the cold metal rail. It had been almost two weeks , I haven't shaved and I always slept in the chair beside her bed. Only ever getting up to shower or fight. All the anger pent up inside me had to go somewhere. I couldnt hold it inside i needed to let all that rage out. My men started to get worried I could see it in their eyes when I left the room or ordered them around. 

It had been three weeks since we brought Saryah to the house but everybody already got used to having another woman around. They adored her young and wild spirit even when she tried to run away they would give her some time and then catch her. They loved her like a daughter, but tried to hide it. I could see it. I dont know how she couldn't. That day she left through the back door we knew where she was going, but Dante said we should let her at least feel the pride of making it to her house before getting caught. 

He stalled me till it was okay for me to leave. The guards said she made them laugh whenever she got lost or tripped over something. Whenever they would come down for meals she was mainly the subject of conversation. At first I used to get annoyed, but now I joined in. Yes. I admit it. I missed having her stubborn attitude cloud my home or her ignorance excite me. And this guilt that was built up in  me was not helping either. 

The creaking of the door made my skin crawl and my hand went directly towards the cool metal object in my waist band. Helga hastily closed the door behind her with a creak. She was much more quiet these days, she barely talked. Her down faced eyes held nothing but sadness as her once bright emerald silver eyes turned a dull grey. The open window in the furnished room let in a gust of wind . The cools breeze traveled it's way towards the back of my neck. Small shivers raked up my spine. 

The tension in the air was thick. Both of us had something to say but couldn't bring ourselves to talk. Helga was pissed at me. I could tell, I was pissed at myself too. She hasn't talked to me much all week except for informing me that my untouched meal was almost ready. Or that somebody was looking for me. Her sad eyes held nothing but sympathy as she stared at the bronze female. 

Helga couldn't have children. Everybody knew it but never brought it up. She took care of my parents when they got married and from then she practically raised Claire and I. Helga was like another mother to me. Her and Claire we're the only ones who actually mattered to me. She looked at me in curiosity probably wondering what I was thinking so hard about. Another gust of cold air swished around the room banging a low whistle before returning back to its starting point. 

I felt as if there was something in my throat. I wanted to speak about how I........ felt. But I don't do that. I'm a mafia king. And mafia kings didn't do that shit. "The doctor we here". Helga's weary voice cut the silence in the air quietly. I could tell she hadn't slept in a while as she memorized what exactly the doctor had told her. 

I zoned out, turning towards Saryah once again. Tears threatened to well up in my eyes as I took in all her features. She looked so peaceful when she slept compared to her rebellious attitude when she was conscious. I felt a light hands on my shoulder enveloping that section in warmth. Helga's worried eyes searched into mine before I snapped my head away. She knew how to read me, better than anyone else could. She couldn't find out, or had she already. 

"Honey, you looked wrecked. Please go have a nice rest, and maybe a shave too. I'll be by her side I promise". I stared into her orbs almost begging her to promise me one more time. When did I become so clingy? Helga lifted her brows as the tears started to gather together in the pockets of my bottom eyelids. 

"What's wrong with me Helga?" I blinked back the tears but still couldn't hide my cracking voice. Helga stared at me with empathy and pulled me in for a hug. Her warm body held onto my torso as she couldn't each the rest of my body. I bent down slowly engulfing her in a much needed hug. 

"Nothing figilo mio, you were angry. People do stupid stuff when they are angry. Remember when I set the ambassadors pool house on fire, because his son called your baby sister a fat cow?" 

I chuckled lightly remembering the day like it was yesterday. My father and the Italian ambassador were in a meeting and his son had a huge crush on Claire. Young boys, they didn't know how to woo 'em in, so he thought the best way was to insult her with all the jokes left in the book. 

Claire came home crying and my father and I were in a rage. We went to have talk with Mr ambassadors son,  but ended up using his hose to water down the accidental fire Helga had started. "Yeah, well I was angry. I have learned now that I need more self control. See, David, you think you're rational. And composed. But you freak out when things don't go as planned i.e. your way. You just need self control. And I believe Saryah is the perfect person to help you gain that gift".

I pulled back from Helga taking in what she had just informed me. It was true, I was always forcing Saryah to do what I  wanted. When things didn't go as I  wanted them to, the world would come crashing down. I wasn't rational or self composed. I needed to be though. And Saryah was the perfect candidate to help me. I will take my time with her. Take her to dinner. Walks in the park. Give her romantic gifts. Take her on holidays. Watch movies, almost like we just started courting. I'll do it properly, without rushing to find a queen. 

She might actually be the one. 

I just needed her to wake up.