Halal Cosmetics

Data  on sales of Halal cosmetics are very encouraging, since they grow steadily at 12% per year and 19% in Gulf Countries. Italy is not perfectly prepared to Muslim needs, so it risks losing a very big profit. In fact, tourists coming from Muslim countries prefer destinations such as France or UK which offer Spa and services for their needs.

Italy and Halal cosmetics

Muslim women take lots of care of their body and make up. For example, since it is contained in veils and is therefore subject to loss, hair is particularly treated. Make-up is also particularly used, considering that eyes are the focal point of charm, as well as ornaments. These products are permeable: this means they let water pass during ablutions (the washing procedure before prayer). Maintaining her appearance, according to Islamic Sharia, means getting closer to God.

But for Muslim women it is not easy to find a place where they can take care of their body, even though this is a Muslims’ fundamental practice. The Qur'an, in fact, states that God offers the body to the man. That’s why it is necessary to take care of it and preserve it through the use of the right products.

It is hard, however, to find halal friendlyfacilities, such as swimming pools, gyms or beauty centers where they get to themselves.

Halal cosmetics products: not only for Muslim consumers

As for halal food, cosmetics have to contain admitted ingredients to the Islamic Sharia; however, they are not only a prerogative for Muslim consumers, since accurate controls and the absence of ingredients of animal origin give the idea of a healthy, organic and cruelty free product. In fact, halal cosmeticsare produced without any animal test.

Not only ingredients but also packaging and communication of the product must be in accordance with the dictates of the Islamic law. The most popular products are those for women: from moisturizers to make up, from soaps to shampoos.

WHAT IS ALLOWED IN THE HALAL COMETICS

Halal cosmetic products use substances coming from all herbivorous animals, except for donkeys. From these animals, it is possible to use their meat but not their blood and of course they have to be slaughtered according to Islamic Sharia.

WHAT IS FORBIDDEN

Halal cosmetics cannot contain parts of pig or donkey and their derivatives, as well as parts such as bones, claws, hair and fats commonly used to manufacture cosmetics. Alcohol is also considered a highly risky ingredient in cosmetics production. In fact, some cosmetic companies have developed alcohol-free perfumes and creams dedicated to Muslim consumers.

It is also forbidden the extraction of substances from live animals if this creates suffering.

Assalamu alaikum,
This was a little introduction to importance of halal cosmetics. I literally had to throw maximum of my makeup product because it was not halal. Well you can't risk with deen.

I am makeup junkie but I can't be ignorant. So please keep an eye on the ingredient list when you buy yourself some makeup goodies. There are some vegan products but make sure it is alcohol-free.

As always Halal is best...