Chapter 18

"Would you like to tell me exactly what in the world you fools were thinking?!!"

Aunt Elsinore was smiling, but no one in the group was fooled. After looking around desperately for someone else to be the one to talk, Erin swallowed uncomfortably and cleared her throat, trying to explain.

"We- We were trying to protect the country..."

"Oh. That's great." Elsinore leaned forward, her smile never wavering. "And why, pray tell, did you not leave that to the army of this country? You know, the one's whose job it is to do that?!!"

Gerald grabbed Erin's hand in support. "It wasn't that simple. Sionelle had diverted the nation's armed forces to the capital with these terrorist attacks, and struck a weak point in my country's border. They would have never been able to get there in time to react."

"So instead you all decided to simply take on an army by yourselves..."

"I thought..." Erin ran her hand through her hair, hesitating. "I thought my father might be there, in which case no amount of soldiers would have been enough to help me."

"..." Elsinore's smile faded. "Can Erin and I be alone?"

Erin shook her head. "I explained to them everything on the way back. You can speak in front of them."

"You trust them?" Her voice was incredulous.

"Yes."

"Yeah, we don't get it either." Frederick butted in. "But don't worry, we've got her back."

"You want me to speak freely in front of them? Fine."

Elsinore's voice grew cold. "You're a fool, Erin. You could have ruined everything. We have spent YEARS planning this, you stupid girl! Years of preparation, since you were thirteen, all for our revenge. What have you suffered for all these years if not for the chance to strike at your father?!"

"I didn't..."

"You didn't think, that's what you didn't do. You revealed your powers in such a public way! What if he realizes how strong you are? We lose the advantage of surprise." She shook her head. "You risked everything for this country, that's not even your home."

"It's Gerald's home." Erin met her gaze without flinching.

"... Not that I'm not loving the family drama here. But why is surprise so important?" Frederick spread out his hands, looking confused. "I just saw Erin take down an ARMY. Without breaking a sweat. She has to be the most powerful person in the world. Why are you guys so scared of one man?"

Elsinore's gaze was haunted, as was Erin's. "You say that only because you have never seen that man in action. I will give you this warning once, because you are Erin's friend: NEVER underestimate him. He will kill you, and everyone you love, before you even knew he was there."

"He's level 5 in three different abilities, level 4 in two more." Erin spoke quietly, staring down at her hands. "But he also has years of experience, he's able to bring out his powers to the absolute limit. My only chance is to catch him by surprise."

"..." An uncomfortable silence fell on the group as they all considered the implications of those words.

Knock. Knock.

Everyone startled, looked up at the door, hands moving towards weapons. Shaking his head, Gerald cautiously opened it, smiling in recognition.

"Hi there."

Several servants stepped into the room, carrying platters of food. The one in front, a serious looking gentleman, bowed and said:

"We've brought some food for the St. Julienne's Academy team, as you missed the dinner in the main dining hall."