Chapter 4

Aunt Elsinore was smiling as she dismissed the headmaster, turning to her new team. The five students stood around her, various expressions of surprise or unease on their faces.

"So, let's get started, shall we?" She glanced over, noticing Frederick's unhappy look.

"Do you have a question, boy?"

The student council president frowned, looking the older woman over from head to toe. "Who exactly are you?"

Elsinore sighed, "Points off for not listening, child. I told you I'm..."

"I heard your name... or names." Frederick waved his hand dismissively. "What I want to know is what qualifies you to be my trainer?"

He tried give off an intimidating glare, but Erin found her aunt's sweet smile that she gave in return to be much more terrifying.

"Do you think he'll survive?" Gerald muttered in her ear.

"Depends..."

"On what?"

"On how quickly he can run away."

They both chuckled, then shut up quickly as Aunt Elsinore looked their way. She turned back to Frederick, her smile still firmly in place.

"First, because I have been appointed by the government to oversee you five. This is because I have a long list of qualifications and experience in training magically talented individuals." She placed a hand to her chest. "Second, I am talented in both figuring out what your best qualities are as well as forcing you to bring them out. So I'm your best chance at giving a winning performance at the competition." Her smile turned cruel. "Third, I'm competitive, I like to win. So even if it kills you, I'll shape you five into a winning team." Raising an eyebrow, she glanced around at the five students. "Any other objections?"

Intimidated, they all shook their heads.

"Good." Satisfied by their response, Elsinore nodded and continued. "Now this competition is called a 'magical competition', but it's actually much more than that. It is meant to test students with regard to magical theory knowledge, physical prowess, teamwork, leadership, as well as of course magical control and magical combat ability." She chuckled "You all are talented, this is true, but there's a great deal of room for improvement. I will meet with each of you individually today, test you and from their determine your training regimen as well as the role you will play in this upcoming competition. So... do your best." Still smiling, she reached out and grabbed Frederick's arm.

"Let's start with you, Mr. 'Student Council President.'"

Before he could protest she had dragged him off to the right of the field, both of them disappearing into thin air.

Gerald hung his head. "A moment of silence for our lost comrade."

"..." After a brief pause they burst into laughter. "Now..."

"HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!" Olivia grabbed Gerald, pulling him off to the side. "You have to tell me everything that happened during your date!"

Gerald was pulled away, helplessly pointing at Erin, "Didn't you want to hear it from her?"

"No, Erin's good at keeping secrets, I'll miss all the good stuff, but you...?" She grinned. "You'll crack like an egg."

"Erin... help!"

Erin waved goodbye cheerfully, ignoring his plea, glad that Olivia had found an alternate victim. She then hesitated, realizing that she was standing there alone with Olivia's brother Matthias. Her face stiffening, she awkwardly shifted away and looked at the ground. There was an uncomfortable silence between them, only broken by the sound of Olivia's excited squealing from the side of the field as she jumped up at down grabbing Gerald's hands, yelling "Congrats!"