Chapter 17

The main force was getting ready to move.

Erin stood on the cliffs near the Sionelle border, staring down at the army that had amassed there. The sea that separated the nation of SIonelle and the Ellurian Alliance typically hindered a large scale land invasion, but it was clear from the long line of ships in the water that the army had been shipping troops for the past week. Likely since the border patrols had been reduced to the protect the Capital after the terrorist attacks. Taking advantage of the weakened surveillance, the Sionelle army had slowly moved soldiers over to the enemy's shore, and were now ready to advance further inward. Ships continued to sail between the two nations, carrying more troops.

Erin looked south, sighing as she caught sight of the burning wreckage of a fort. That had likely housed the remaining soldiers from the Ellurian Alliance. Erin wondered if anyone had survived the attack, but couldn't spare the time to go check. Besides, even if there were injured people, with her lack of healing magic, what was the point?

As the troops began to move, Erin frowned, her brow furrowing with frustration. The main force was going down the largest mountain path, like she had predicted, but there were multiple groups that had split off and were taking alternate routes. With this, how was she supposed to catch them all?

Just as she was puzzling over this, she heard a familiar voice call out.

"Need a little help?"

Surprised, Erin turned, only to catch sight of Gerald, Matthias, Olivia and Frederick.

"Wha- What are you guys doing here?" Erin stuttered, her eyes wide with shock.

"Oh we're just out here taking an afternoon stroll." Frederick rolled his eyes. "Obviously we're here to help you stop an invasion."

"But... How...?"

"Matthias told us you were up to something dangerous. After that it was fairly simple to find you, given my level 5 insight ability and your powers shining like a beacon right now." Gerald's gaze was solemn as he stood quietly near her.

"... Why did you come?" Erin looked miserable as she shook her head slowly.

Olivia ran up and hugged her. "I came because I'm your best friend, idiot!"

"And I'm in love with you, so..." Gerald winked.

"Same." Matthias added quietly.

"..." Everyone turned towards Frederick, who shrugged. "Eh... I was bored."

Gerald gave him a slight push and turned back towards Erin. "Were you really not going to say anything?" His voice carried quiet disappointment.

"I didn't know what to say."

Frederick chuckled at that. "I don't know, how about: 'Hey guys, I'm about to take on an army by myself... can I have a little help?'"

"I didn't want you guys to get involved... get hurt."

He shrugged. "Sorry that you're so shortsighted, but we were involved from the moment you decided to risk your life."

"This isn't a school fight, or a competition." Erin swallowed her eyes anxious, "This is a war. Against our own country's army. You should head back."

Gerald reached out a gentle hand, brushing her hair from her face. "Don't worry about the details. We're in this together."

"So enough with the mushy friendship and romance crap!" Frederick grinned. "Tell us what to do, team leader!"

Erin studied them carefully. It was true, with their help, she had a much better chance of pulling this off. But...

Can I trust them?