Chapter 11

"Okay everyone, we have the practice field for the next 6 hours, let's run a few scenarios, practice working as a team."

Erin stood in front of the group, her face serious. No matter how one looked at the four other students, however, they obviously weren't as invested. Frederick was sitting on the ground, tinkering with a bronze object in his lap. Olivia was laying on her back in the grass, staring up at the sky, only occasionally glancing over. Matthias was standing nearby, staring intently at Erin, but despite the intensity, he didn't appear to be listening closely. Gerald was the only one listening normally. Feeling slightly defeated, Erin started with him.

"Gerald, you're the scout, use your insight, stay along the perimeter, report back the enemy positions."

Gerald smiled, "Yes ma'am."

"If you see a single opponent that you feel you can take down silently, feel free to do so."

Turning to Matthias, she studied him a moment before continuing. "Matthias, your freezing ability has the best potential for crowd control. Between you and me, we should plan to engage the main force. So stick with me, and don't attack until I start attacking."

Matthias nodded, reaching out a hand and resting it on Erin's arm. "Okay, I'll stay by you."

"...yes." Erin carefully pulled her arm away, glancing at Olivia who was watching with a blank expression before sighing.

"Frederick, as we discussed before, you will be in charge of making and setting artifact traps." She paused. "However, I'm going to team you up with Olivia."

"What?" Olivia finally looked more invested even if only out of annoyance. "Why?"

"You have almost no combat abilities, but are a valuable resource to the team as a healer. We need you near someone who can help protect you. Both of you need to be mobile, as he will be setting traps and you will be healing teammates, so by working together, you may end up being a stronger team in the end."

Frederick glanced up from the object he had been working on. "Do I have to? She's so... cheerful." He shuddered "It reminds me that life is more than anger and misery, which is disturbing to my psyche." He looked pleadingly at her. "Can't I just work alone? I'll give you money..." pausing, he thought it over and shook his head, waving his arms. " Wait never mind, I'm broke! Umm... I'll be nice..." he winced. "Actually, yeah, no I can't do that either... eh, whatever, I'll just work with her."

Olivia jumped to her feet.

"You might be okay with it, but I'm not!"

"Olivia, we're all teammates, we have to work together." Erin reached out towards the other girl but she backed away, shaking her head.

"No! No, I won't do it! I've waited so long for this, thinking it would be okay, that I should keep quiet, but I won't anymore! How can you be so nice to this jerk? You may be willing to forget all he's done, but I won't!" She glared at Frederick. "For years you mocked Erin, called her names, beat her in challenges she had no hope of winning! That last fight before she got her powers back? She had a terrible burn from your magic!" She pointed a finger at the boy, "You don't deserve to be on the same team as Erin, and I'll say it, even if no one else is willing to!"

"Olivia..." Erin started to try to mediate, but was interrupted by a laughing Frederick. Full bellied laughs shook his body, tears forming in the corner of his eyes, until even Olivia looked uncomfortable and backed away a few steps. Finally coming to a close, he wiped his eyes and looked at Olivia, his smile cruel.

"Really? I don't deserve to be on the same team as her? You of all people are going to say that?" He ran his hand through his hair, his face incredulous. "After what you did?"