Chapter 5

Erin was not having a good time.

She leaned around a tree trunk, trying to desperately see something, anything in the fog. Sighing with frustration, she reached up to touch the wind artifact stone hanging from her ear.

"Everyone, hold your position until we confirm the enemy location."

She turned to Gerald, who stood at her side. "Can you sense them with your insight ability?"

The taller boy shook his head, obviously confused. "I can sense our teammates... no one's properly in position by the way. Besides that, I sense hundreds of other signals... there should only be five!" He struck his fist against the tree. "I can't pinpoint them at all."

Erin reached out, laying a gentle hand on his arm. "You did your best. Let's keep moving forward."

"THIS IS RIDICULOUS!" An angry voice spoke out of the artifact. "We're sitting ducks out here without a plan, leader. We're just wasting time."

Erin groaned, "Look, Frederick, I know you're not happy about this, but we don't know where the enemy is... charging in without information would be..." she paused, unsure of a non-offensive word to use.

"Idiotic?" Olivia's voice suggested

"Suicidal?" Gerald added

Even Matthias joined in. "Incompetent?"

"...HASTY." Erin loudly spoke over them, but it was too late.

"Screw you guys, I'm going forward." Fredericks voice faded out, and they clearly heard the sounds of someone pushing themselves through the foliage.

"Frederick, stop!" Erin hissed, pressing the stone on her ear with so much force that it was cutting into her ear. "Frederick, turn back now!"

"He's engaging the enemy." Matthias reported, his voice sounding bored. "He's getting beaten fairly badly. I'll go save him."

"Matthias! No! Don't..." Erin threw up her hands as the clearing in the forest in front of them filled with the sounds of fighting.

"Those idiots!"

Gerald looked at her with a smirk. "Well, here we are... what now, Captain?"

"I guess we go save them." She touched the artifact once more. "Olivia, are you safe for now?"

"Hidden away and ready to heal whenever you need, boss."

Erin gestured to Gerald, "Let's move in."

"I've got your back."

They charged forward into the clearing, only to skid to a stop at the sight in front of them, three shadowy opponents had already subdued Frederick and Matthias, binding them and throwing them to the ground.

Matthias looked up from his bound position and shrugged. "Sorry, Erin."

Ignoring him, Erin looked around the clearing. "There should be five... where are the other two..."

BAM!

Both Erin and Gerald went down to the ground with a thud, the two shadowy figures that had snuck up behind them joining the other three. Their opponents didn't have faces, but Erin had the sneaking suspicion they were laughing at her.

At least we have Olivia.... Even as she thought this, a bound struggling form was thrown to the ground next to them.

"Ouch! I hate you guys!" Olivia collapsed backwards with an angry groan.

Erin struggled against her bonds, wondering if she could break free...

"EVERYONE STOP!"

Within seconds, the shadows, the bonds, even the trees and bushes around them... everything vanished.