The demons of her past howled in the back of her mind, making her want to run away. Everyone she knew and loved had left, betrayed or used her. Could she really just... She looked at their expressions, and all she saw were the faces of her friends.

Slowly she nodded.

"I have a plan."

Olivia used her wind abilities to quickly move down the mountain path towards the border fort. Looking at the wreckage and the flames, she felt doubt in her heart that she would find anyone still alive. But she had to try.

"See if there's anyone from the Ellurine Alliance still left in the fort. If so, heal them, and send them back to the Capital to let them know about what's happening. With an eyewitness, they can deploy the army appropriately to prepare for the invasion in case I fail." Erin had told her with a worried look. "Of course, you guys could have warned someone as well..."

Gerald had shook his head at that. "If we delayed at all it would have been too late to save you."

"Idiots." Her tone was harsh but she had been smiling.

How many times had Olivia seen Erin smile? She thought back, but it was hard to think of many examples. She had been so stoic when they were growing up. Slow to trust anyone, never talking about herself or her family. Even with Olivia, her best friend, there had always been a distance.

Olivia heard footsteps and hid behind some rubble, her heart beating quickly in her chest. She had almost no combat ability, if she was captured... She shook her head.

Erin trusted me to do this mission. Olivia reminded herself. I can't fail her.

Dodging enemy patrols, she searched the broken rooms, almost giving up before coming across a pile of slowly shifting stone.

THERE!

She dug out some of the rubble, revealing a broken, bleeding soldier with a dazed expression. Olivia winced at the sight of him. Some of the damage was so terrible, it was hard to believe he was still alive.

HE's still bleeding. She reassured herself. Bleeding means a heartbeat, means I still have a chance.

She placed her palm on the soldier's head, focusing her powers. Feeling his injuries with her magic, she shook her head. It would take everything she had to heal this one soldier. She hoped it would be enough.

Good luck, Erin. I'll do everything I can from here. She thought with a smile.

Matthias stood right at water's edge, looking out at the ships that were on their way with more troops. The seawater was cold as it lapped around his ankles in small waves. In his hand was clutched a silver amulet, the one Erin had given him to help seal his out-of-control abilities.

"Will you really help me? After what I said to you?" Erin had been confused when it was time to give Matthias his instructions.

He had nodded. "I will."

"It won't change how I feel about you... I don't want to lie or lead you on." Erin's eyes were worried, a pity that hadn't sat well with him all too apparent on her face.

"I know." His voice had been calm. "I'm doing this because of how I feel, because I want to. Like you said:" His grin was self mocking, "No one can tell me who to love or not love. You don't have to return my feelings, but I don't have to stop having them either."

"Are you sure..."

"Erin." His tone was resolute. "I'm helping. Tell me what to do."

She had let out a long sigh. "Stop the ships from transporting more troops. Can you do it?"