18: Second Dates (Part One)

Start from the beginning

"We all make mistakes," I said, but I realized how useless that sentiment was to him. His grey eyes carried an emotion I knew well. I saw it in the mirror when I thought about Yuki. Someone had died; someone he'd loved.

"Most mistakes don't end in death" Thor told me with a grim voice. "My younger brother, Balder was on that mission and Loki's recklessness got him killed." His laced hands clenched tightly together and I had a horrible feeling that had he been holding anything, it would've been crushed to sand.

"I'm sorry," I said and I tasted something bitter in my mouth again. This time it wasn't from the pill. It was from my own memories. Sorry didn't give Thor his brother back. "I know what it feels like, well sort of. Yuki and I were technically cousins, but we grew up side by side and lived in the same house for over half our lives. She was my sister and even though I know she's gone, sometimes when I open my messages, I'm looking for a notification from her. We never went a day without talking before..." I trailed off, my throat thick.

"I know exactly what you mean," Thor said softly, his eyes blue again and reflecting my own grief back at me. "It's been hundreds of years, but sometimes, I feel like if I just look up, Balder will be right around the corner."

I nodded. "I don't think that ever goes away," my dad's face flashed into my mind. "But it's the price we pay for loving people; I think it's worth it."

"So do I."

We entered the foyer of the manor, a silence stretched between us but not so uncomfortable. "You look nice by the way," he said, a faint blush staining his stubble-covered cheeks. "Sorry I didn't mention it before."

"It's alright," I said, smiling slightly at the compliment. "So, what exactly are we doing today? You said you were going to show me around Asgard?"

Thor smiled again and I saw him toy with the thick leather watch on his wrist. "That is the plan yes. You don't mind heights do you?"

            I shook my head and laughed. "No so much heights as falling from them."

            "That's fair, but don't worry, I won't let you fall."

            If this had been Midgard I would have thought that promise was completely irrational to make. But as this wasn't home and Thor was not like any man I'd dated before, I had a feeling he would have a much easier time keeping that promise than other guys. I smiled at him, suddenly more excited for this than I had been earlier.I didn't know much about Asgard as a place, but I knew whatever I saw today wouldn't be replicated anywhere else.

            "What's first on the list?"

He reached into his pocket, "take this first." Caught between his long fingers was a simple band of braided leather, but as I took it, I noticed it wasn't exactly ordinary either. Runes were etched into the material.

            "What is this? Is it something to make me invisible?"

            "Why was that your first thought?"

            I shrugged. "No idea, maybe all those Greek myths I had to read in high school rubbed off more than I thought."

            "I know what high school is, but what's a Greek myth?"

            "It's sort of like the stories Midgard has about Asagrd and you, but from a different culture. What is this?"

            "I know you said you get sick when you have to teleport, so I asked Eir what we could do about it. He put a charm on the bracelet, if you wear it, it'll help keep the nausea at bay. He just finished it this morning."