Thirty-Eight || A Ballad of the Noahs

Start from the beginning

     Scott watched Isaac's profile curiously, searching for words as dirt and dead leaves crunched around the base of the tunnel. "That's really big of you."

     "Maybe I'm just not giving you excuses to throw me into the house walls this time," Isaac replied with a soft grin.

     Scott chuckled, glancing down briefly. "There's something different about you. What happened in France?"

     "It's a long story, Scott," he said, slowly coming to a stop. His brows furrowed, a gust of wind cutting along their path. "This way."

     Isaac crossed his former alpha, ducking down through an opening in the wall. Scott and Allison soon followed, the trio reaching a network of tunnels below the abandoned train station.

     "I got it," Isaac told them, staring down a dimly lit catacomb. "I got his scent."

     They jogged deeper into the tunnel, the scents of rust and mildew crashing in the air around them.

     Isaac stopped short of a wood beam on the wall, dark blood splotched on the surface. "This is Noah's," he said, smelling it briefly. "He was here. I think he's close."

     "Guys," Scott called for their attention, having stepped out into another tunnel, "I think I've been down tunnels like these before, like when Jacy, Mason and I were looking for Liam and Hayden when the Doctors took them."

     "Okay, so what?" Allison questioned, both she and Isaac joining him.

     Scott stared down the blue-lit tunnel covered in piping. "Maybe it means that we're closer than we think. Maybe there's something else down here. Something that we haven't found."

     "If it's not Noah, then it's not what we need," Allison said. "If helping Jacy gets us closer to getting her back, that's what we need to do."

     A rumble echoed in the tunnel, a sweating figure lurching out from the darkness of a connecting tunnel and throttling Allison into a wall.

    And as Scott lunged to help Allison, Isaac attacked Noah within a moment's notice, his scent clear as day.

     "Let me go, please, please," Noah begged among Isaac's growls, pinned to the ground. "They're coming."

     Isaac's fangs retracted, an odd chitter coming from a further down the tunnel. He let his pressure off, standing as Noah attempted to scamper away.

     Allison, retrieved from the ground with only a headache, apprehended the teen, pinning him to the wall. "You're not going anywhere."

     "I said I don't remember," he defended, squirming against Allison

     Allison's brows furrowed lightly, the sentence not prompted. "You don't remember what?"

     "She said I attacked the Sheriff," said Noah, sweat lining his brow. "I don't remember. Not when it happens. Not when I change."

     "We're supposed to help you, okay?" Allison said, keeping him against the wall. "I can't help you if you try to run."

     Allowing Allison to handle Noah, both Scott and Isaac stood guard at the month of the tunnel.

     "Scott, I can hear them," said Isaac, brows furrowed at the ominous clinking and clattering backdropped by footsteps.

     "I can, too."

     "Al, get him out of here," Scott said over his shoulder.

     "What am I supposed to do with him?" she asked.