XII. Moonlight

Late that night, 2D laid in Murdoc's bed, staring up at the ceiling. He picked at the hangnails on his fingers, sighing to himself. It seemed like it would be a sleepless night. He got up as quiet as he could, making his way into the kitchen. When he saw the satanist sleeping soundly on the couch, he couldn't help but smile. He looked so peaceful. Stuart opened the fridge gently, taking out a water bottle from the door. As he closed it, he heard movement from the couch.

"Dents? Is that you?" The bassist sat up, rubbing his tired eyes.

"Y-Yeah, sorry. I was j-just getting water, I didn't mean to wake you up..." Stuart chewed on his bottom lip nervously.

"No, it's alright. Are you okay? Why're you up so late?"

Stu shrugged, staring at his feet. "I just can't sleep sometimes." Murdoc nodded, cracking his back in obvious discomfort. 2D watched him, feeling guilty. After all, it was his fault he was stuck on the couch. "Murdoc?"

"Yeah?"

"You can...lay in your bed if you want. I feel bad making you sleep on the couch..." Stuart didn't make eye contact with the other man.

"No it's alright. I'd feel bad making you sleep here." Murdoc ran a hand through his bed head. "I'm fine on here, Stu. Don't worry about me."

2D nodded, shifting his weight between his feet. "Well I, um...thought maybe...we could s-share the bed?" The tall boy regretted saying it, knowing the bassist would think he was weird. Especially after what he had told him earlier.

"Oh." The satanist was taken aback a bit. "Yeah, sure, why not?" To Stuart's relief, Murdoc smiled and got up. He grabbed his pillow and the two walked back into Murdoc's room. 2D got into the bed, making sure he was far to one side. The bassist slid in beside him, leaving some space in the middle.

It wasn't long before Stuart heard Murdoc snoring beside him, and he laughed quietly. He didn't understand how the man could fall asleep more easily. Stu turned towards the bassist, trying to make out the details of his face in the dark. The moonlight from the window barley illuminated the bedroom, but 2D's eyes adjusted until he could see the sleeping man. What about him it was, Stuart didn't know, but Murdoc was fascinating to him. He didn't mean to, but his hand reached out to touch the satanist face. It seemed like it was magnetic. Stuart sighed contently, admiring him. He was interrupted by Murdoc's arms reaching around him, pulling him closer. 2D gasped softly, his cheeks growing hot and red. He rested his head against the mans chest, the bassists arms enveloping him in a bear hug. Feeling so safe, so secure in the warm embrace, Stu finally drifted off to sleep.