"I'm not being rude, I just... don't want to talk to anyone." Especially not Jayer. And he'd rather mentally prepare himself for what's to come.

The headed out the castle's eastern gate and followed the same road they'd used on their arrival. The sun peeked out from behind the drifting clouds, but there was enough wind blowing to mitigate its heat. The marketplace was quiet, and the vendors were just setting up for the day, tidying their displays and sweeping dust and debris from their doorsteps.

Aldeheid looked around, taking in the ambience of the place. The scent of fresh bread mixed with wildflowers. A few of the vendor bid them good morning, but didn't overwhelm them like the crowds from the day before.

Kitaya pointed out various shops to him. A tavern called The Lion's Roar, an inn that looked more like an estate and a jeweler with glittering gems and precious metals in its display. "They make rings for the members of the royal family," she explained, flashing hers.

From there, it was a short walk to the breach, where armoured men and women were patrolling, twice as many as there had been the day before. Over their heads, a score of Lyberra flew around in complex patterns.

Kitaya hurried him through, and out the eastern gate, where Nylarah was waiting with a Lyberra. She was dressed in a simple green robe, white hair held back with a leather thong. Her staff was propped against the outer wall, and she was humming softly to the beast as she stroked its golden mane.

"Good morning," she said with a bright smile.

"Morning." Kitaya sidled up to the Lyberra and joined Nylarah in scratching it mane. The beast released a rumbling purr, craning its neck so they could scratch the underside.

Aldeheid stood back, flashbacks from his Lyberra ride with Kitaya playing through his head. With any luck he wouldn't have to get on the beast.

"At least I don't have to walk back now." She slapped Aldeheid's shoulder. "I'll see you later, angel eyes. Take good care of him, Ny."

"Wait, what?" He gaped at her. "You're not coming with me?"

"Like I said, angel eyes, this isn't something I can help you with." She nodded to Nylarah. "You're in good hands, I promise. Nylarah will bring you back when you're done." With that she hopped onto the Lyberra's back and they bounded off.

As Aldeheid watched her disappear into the breach, apprehension seized him by the throat once more. At least he was with someone he was familiar with and not a complete stranger.

"Nervous?" Nylarah asked, drawing his attention "Kitaya told me you've been having some trouble sleeping, but she didn't tell me why." She pulled her staff from the wall. It was a curious thing, long as Aldeheid was tall and crafted from a sparkling silver metal that reflected the sunlight. A hoop graced its top encrusted with green gems. Three metal cylinders hung from it and chimed whenever they clinked together.

"Well... it's a bit complicated. And not something I'm thrilled to talk about." Aldeheid roughed up his hair, trying to figure out a way out of this.

Nylarah laid her staff horizontal on the air, where it stayed floating of its own volition. "That's quite fine, Aldeheid." She hopped up on the staff and began gliding towards the temple.

Aldeheid hadn't heard a word she said. He was too enthralled by her magical flying stick. What manner of sorcery and mysticism was keeping it afloat? "I'm sorry. I didn't hear you," he said, chasing after her.

"I said it's fine if you don't want to talk. You don't have to say anything." She tapped her staff and it released a melodic chime.

The sound slipped into Aldeheid's ears and filled his head, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. "What do you mean? How is this supposed to work then?"