One More Trip

As Martha gets some rest from the hectic journeys she's been on, the Doctor and Willow make another decision.

***

Eventually, after a long conversation with Martha on New Earth, the trio returned to the TARDIS. Once Martha got inside, she let out a loud yawn. "God, how many hours has it been since I last slept?"

"Yeah, it has been a while, hasn't it?" The Doctor guessed as he approached the console. "There are some rooms down that corridor if you want to rest for a bit."

"Definitely need it, thanks." She stretched her arms out, wandering down the corridor.

As she headed through, the Doctor yelled. "Oh, and don't fall in the swimming pool!"

"Actually, I moved the swimming pool," Willow mentioned, her arms crossed.

The Doctor raised his eyebrows. "You did?"

"Yeah."

"Well, where did you put it?"

"I put it in the library." She answered.

He paused, bewildered. "Wait, you put in the library?"

Willow responded. "I put it in the library, yes."

"Okay, why did you do that?" he wondered.

She shrugged, unsure of her decision as well. "I don't really know. I just wanted to read on a lilo, I guess."

"Blimey, there's a rollercoaster back here!" Martha yelled from the corridor.

"The lounge is on the right!" he shouted back.

"Thank you!" They heard her shout before a door slammed, meaning that they were now alone.

Willow strolled up the walkway, standing on the other side of the console as the Doctor transported them away. "Do you really think another Timelord survived out there?"

"I know one did," he gazed at her, their eyes meeting for a moment. "But I'm not sure the others did."

"Then what did the Face of Boe mean?" she wondered.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "Maybe we'll never really know."

She chuckled. "I wish his last secret wasn't so cryptic."

The Doctor admired her gracefully. "At least we have each other though."

"Oh, you can't get rid of me even if you tried." she quipped.

"Like I'd want to." He added. There was a soft pause, the TARDIS whirring quietly as they quietly glided through space.

From the other side of the console, Willow noticed the Doctor biting his lip anxiously. She could tell that he was in deep thought. "What is it?"

"What?" he asked, slightly startled.

"You're thinking about something," Willow said.

He tried to brush her concerns away. "I'm always thinking. When am I not thinking?"

"Yes, but you're actually thinking about something consequential." She noted. "I've seen that look a million times by now, so spill."

"There's nothing TO spill." The Doctor emphasised.

"Liar." She retorted.

He scratched his head uncomfortably. "I always lie, don't I?"

Willow leapt onto the sofa, settling down on the rough fabric. "Just tell me what's bothering you."

"Nothing's really bothering me." He answered. "It's just that..."

"What?"

"I was just thinking that... um..."

"Just tell me."

The Doctor turned around, facing her. "I was thinking that... maybe we could give Martha one more trip?"

Her pleased expression fell. "What?"

"It was just a thought since the last two haven't exactly been the best first trips across time and space." He stated.

She stood back on her feet, marching towards him. "I know, but you promised. I might have let it pass once, but it was only once."

"I never promised anything, I just went with your word." He responded. "But I think it's only fair."

"I thought I told you that it would take a while for me to get used to a new person." She reminded him.

"Well, you like Martha, don't you?" queried the Doctor.

"Of course, I do!" Willow fired back.

"Then what is it?"

"I told you I didn't want to replace Rose." She mentioned. "I don't want to replace her."

Willow bowed her head, distracted by memories. The Doctor slipped his fingers into her hands, clutching them tightly. "We're not replacing her, I promise. No one can replace Rose."

"I just miss her." She softly cried.

"I know," The Doctor embraced her, wrapping his hands over her back as she sobbed. "I miss her too."

She sighed, faintly sniffing. Willow choked back her saliva, breaking away from him and wiping her tears away. "I guess one more trip wouldn't hurt, but then we're taking her straight back home. Okay?"

"Okay."

***

I know this is a little short but I think it's adequate for an interlude. I've got a week off from college, so hopefully that means I'll be able to continue writing a bit more of this story.

I hope you liked it. Stay tuned for Daleks in Manhatten!

- Alice ❤