Chapter Twenty Five - Collide

Start from the beginning

"Do we need this one?" The wolf grunted as Saff wrestled against him.

"Nah, snap her neck."

"No!" Kat couldn't help the scream that burst from her mouth. The man holding Saff smirked at her, pulling her arm out and snapping it back. Kat saw her shoulder pop out, she saw the bone break. Saff gritted her teeth together, not making a sound.

"A tough one, hey? I like screamers." The wolf grumbled.

"I've had much worse, you'll have to try harder." Saff spat.

Kat groaned. Saff was buying them time, she was sacrificing herself as entertainment for these sickos. She knew they wouldn't kill her immediately now that she'd challenged them. She knew that Kat could escape while they focussed on her. But Kat couldn't escape. Not without Saff.

The wolf leered at Saff, dropping her on the floor, he pulled her leg up in his hand and stamped down on her knee. The leg bent backwards in on itself, flopping around. Saff raised an unamused eyebrow at the wolf, but Kat heard her screams across the link. The wolf punched her in the face, again and again and again. Kat heard the crunch, crunch, crunch. She pushed at the wolf that held her. She closed her eyes and begged for the nightmare wolf to come forward. Or even her regular wolf. Anything. There was no response. She felt something hot and sticky run down her neck. She realised her head was bleeding severely. She was losing too much blood. She was too weak.

She threw her head back and heard the sick smash of the connection with the wolf behind her. He dropped her. She grunted as she landed awkwardly on her broken leg. Her other ankle throbbed painfully. Another break. She kicked her shoes off and launched herself at the wolf attacking Saff. He had now moved on to smashing her head against the road. She was knocked out cold, her face swollen beyond comprehension.

Kat was almost to her when another wolf punched her in the side of the head. Kat went down hard, the air around her seemed to hum, the sounds muffled and echoing. The thump of Saff's head hitting the tarmac. Kat forced herself back onto her feet as the road spun. She dug her fingers into the eyes of Saff's attacker. He turned and hit her across the face with the back of his hand.

Yes. Pick on me. Pick on me.

Kat gripped his shirt as she fell again, pulling him away from her friend. Saff was still on the floor as Kat wrapped her arms around the mans throat. He pulled her away easily, continuing his onslaught of Saff. The world blurred.

Kat lay motionless next to her friend, unable to move, unable to help. Watching her die. Darkness spread around the edges of her vision. The enemy wolf growled ferociously.

No. Not enemy the wolf. A different wolf.

Saff's attacker turned just in time to see the monster, as it ripped his throat out.

A pure white wolf shone in the dusk, blood stained teeth bared in fury, a dark scar across it's face.

Vilkas.

He looked at Kat, before shifting into human form and crawling over to Saff.

Kat tried to scream,

There's three more!

But her voice wouldn't come out, her chest felt heavy. She heard movement behind her, it was distant, like she was at the end of a tunnel.

And then his scent filled her nostrils. And his eyes were in front of hers. She watched his mouth move as he shook her. She watched him look around frantically, pointing and shouting orders as more and more wolves streamed on to the scene. She looked behind him, watching Vilkas cradling Saff's body against him.