"For once in your life, don't be difficult." Haymitch snorts. "All she wants to do is help you out."

Something is off. Haymitch is agreeing with Effie. That's never happened in my years of knowing them. I wonder if Peeta has noticed.

Peeta gives me a look. It's full of excitement and what you would call 'puppy dog eyes.' No. He knows exactly what he's doing. Persuading me, drawing me in. The bad thing is, it's working.

"Come on, Katniss," Peeta begs. "It'll be good for you. I'll never get bored of you complaining." He winks at me and my knees go shaky. When did winking become so... attractive?

"Only for you." I give in. "Effie, there has to be boundaries. If there's anything that Peeta and I don't want, you have to agree. It's our wedding, not a Capitol paparazzi meeting."

Effie sighs over-dramatically, but nods her head. "Ugh, fine. But you at least have to let me help you. I've arranged to stay with Haymitch, so I'm around."

I make eye contact with Peeta and he looks just as shocked as I do.
Effie; the organised leader of our team. Haymitch; the pain-in-my-ass recovering alcoholic with the filthiest mouth I've ever seen. Together. In the same house.

"You're staying with him?" I let slip. I can never keep my mouth shut.

"Can you believe it?" Effie laughs. "But that cave needs a redo, and I'm the woman for the job."

I breathe a sigh of silent relief. For a minute I thought Effie was going to live in that dump.

"Got a problem with that sweetheart? I have you know my house is a lot better than this place. It reeks of sappiness."

"Better than smelling like dead rats. I have to cover my—"

"Just be quiet. Effie is here from the Capitol and I intend to make her feel welcome." Peeta snaps. Good thing he stopped me, because I'm one remark away from a fight.

My face flushes red. He's way too good for any of us. I'm also sort of attracted to Peeta when he's angry. I stay quiet. Ever since I grew back together with him, my emotions seem to plaster all over my face.

"Alright golden boy." Haymitch retorts. "We know, you're too sickeningly nice."

Haymitch is also off. Everything he says drips with sarcasm, but when Peeta steps in, he usually just rolls his eyes. Surprise flashes over Peeta's eyes for a brief second, but is quickly replaced with sincerity. However, I'm angry.

"I completely forgot, I have a phone interview scheduled ahead of the wedding with Plutarch. I have to get going." Effie squeals excitedly. She kisses Peeta and I motherly on the forehead and drags Haymitch along with her. Never have I ever seen a person walk so fast in heels.

"Haymitch, hold on." I call. "We need to talk. Kitchen."

I'm not letting him get away with insulting Peeta with no explanation. Sure, we argue like cat and dog but we always apologise. Peeta doesn't need to be involved. Anyone can do anything to me, but if it's Peeta then that's a different story.

All he wants is for everyone to be happy, but that was crossing the line. It doesn't sound that bad to you and I'm probably more bothered than Peeta himself, but when we're both doing so well, I can't handle another break down.

"What?" Haymitch groans. "Trouble in paradise?"

"Maybe for you." I hit back. "What was that about? Something stuck up your ass?"

"Nothing." He mutters, not meeting my eyes.

"I might argue with you, but you know you can talk to me." I say, completely seriously.

"It's just with Effie coming back, everything is just coming back to me." He continues, "I used to be such an idiot falling around drunk everywhere. I can't even imagine what she thinks of me."

I look at Haymitch in a new light. I can read him like a book, he's like a father to me. Both of us have never been the type to talk about our problems. But as I get older, I'm realising that's okay.

"Have you tried, I don't know, talking to her about it?" I mumble. I've never been good at the talking part to be honest.

"That's a good idea, but no." He brushes off. "Effie isn't like that, I'm not much better."

"You don't know until you try." I smile. "She'll surprise you. She did for me."

"Ugh, I'll think about it." Haymitch groans.

"Good." I reply.

I realise that with Haymitch, I'm bittersweet. I can be the old me and the new me. That's how I make my decision.

"Haymitch?" I ask.

"What is it now?"

"Would you walk with me at the wedding?" I mutter.

He looks at me like a daughter and it makes me feel all kinds of things. For the third time ever, he looks genuinely proud of me. Once after I said goodbye before the Quarter Quell, and again when I saw the roses in District 13.

"Katniss, you know I will." Haymitch says and smiles at me.

He gives me a hug and suddenly, I start sobbing. "Sweetheart, I'm proud of you." He says. I pull away from him and I give him a teary nod and I hear the door behind him.

Peeta, naturally, heard my sobbing and runs in. "Katniss! You okay?"

"I'm okay. There's only so many people my patience can handle" I joke. "I just asked Haymitch to walk me down the aisle."

Peeta smiles at me and pulls me in to stroke my hair. "That's great. Should I tell Effie to leave until this time next week? It can be just be us crying together." He says teasingly.

He's so considerate that sometimes I wonder does he ever get tired of it, thinking of others all day everyday. "That'd be nice." I mumble. I just want to sob. I needed to let it all out. I cry because of all the stress from seeing every person I thought I'd never see again. I cry because I miss my sister, who would give anything to be as my wedding. And I cry because of my Father, who'll never see me get married.

But I know we're going to be okay. Because I have Peeta, Haymitch and Effie. I have my family.