Subplots

Subplots (as suggested by rainelorenzo); 

Let's start with a definition again, shall we? 

sub·plot/ˈsəbˌplät/

Noun:

A subordinate plot in a play, novel, or similar work.

A subplot is like a story within a story. Except the subplot is shorter. It should relate to the story in some way and it should fit in with the events. They should connect and relate to the original plot. 

These are the main points for a subplot as found on someone else's blog;

• Subplots must connect to the main story (plot). 

• Subplots must happen for a reason and make sense together with the main story. 

• Subplots should move the story forward. They should enrich, support and deepen the overall story.

• Subplots should reveal information about the main story, the situation or characters, which readers should become privy.

• Subplots should keep your reader interested.

• Subplots must always be resolved.

These are all valid points. 

Let's start from the top;

Connection (Point One);

Subplots do a lot of things. They intruduce characters, they add to the storyline. The story could be about Jana going to school and how she has a test, and how she has a crush on Matty. The subplot could be a concern about who she is going to sit with at lunch. Or maybe how Matty keeps watching her whilst she does the test. A subplot is a secondary concern, but always relevent to the story. Both things would work into the plot because they are still within the school, they have a chance to introduce new characters and they can be easily resolved or figured out.

Everything happens for a reason (Point Two);

The subplot has to have a reason behind it. The reason could be to introduce a new character that is vital to the story. So maybe Matty could have been cheating off of her test without her knowing, and maybe she won't be able to go to lunch because her and Matty get called to the teacher's classroom. This is relevent to the story, and helps push the story along. Because this includes Matty (Who Jana has a crush on!) so it is relevent to the storyline. 

The only way is (up) forward! (Point Three);

Most everything in your story should help move the story/plot foreward. A subplot should also do this. Jana and Matty getting called to the classroom helps move the story along because this could be a way of them meeting. This could have them talking. (These are really crappy examples!) 

This is pushing the story forward, because maybe now that Matty and Jana are talking they will stay talking and maybe eventually date. Or maybe Jana is supersticous and believes that because he cheated on the test it could be a sign that he'll cheat on her. And so she tries to get over him. This moves the plot and story along. 

Revealations;

Subplots usually reveal or introduce something. At the beginning of your story this could be a character. At any stage in the story this could be a hidden agenda. A revealation the reader doesn't usually expect. (Maybe Matty showed no interest in Jana but secretly had a crush on her too. Even though she's trying to get over him because of her superstisions.)

How interesting;

This really is a given. Everything about your story should keep the reader intested. This doesn't even need to be explained! 

It Concludes;

The subplot, like the main plot, and all other plots inbetween, should conclude. It will help tie the story together. Tie up all of those loose ends. There's no use starting a subplot just to create a plot hole. 

Something else from that same blog post;

Another thing to consider with subplots is that they should happen because of the main story, not because you think it’s a good idea to digress and concentrate on something that is totally unrelated. This will only confuse readers and detract from the story altogether. Don’t fall into the trap of making up an unnecessary subplot because you think the story needs it, because invariably your story doesn’t. Remember, they should evolve naturally from the main plot.(On the whole, short stories and novellas don’t have subplots because of brevity.)   (This was taken from allwritefictionadvice on blogspot!) 

Something more from me;

Subplots are a hard subject to give advice on. If I ever add a subplot I don't usually think about it. I really should think about it more. As should all of you. 

A subplot is a very important part of the story, and I'd like to thank rainelorenzo for suggesting the subject because I never would hav e thought of it by myself! And I learned something here too. 

Sorry it has been so long since I have written a chapter, but this one was hard so I kept putting it off! Shout at me if you must.

Did I miss anything? Something you think I should add? 

Feel free to suggest subjects! The next subject is a request from, sorry I can't remember who it was from, but if it was you can you tell me so I can dedicate the next chapter to you? Thanks! The subject is FLASHBACKS!