Chapter 15-The Fifteenth Letter

Chapter 15: The Fifteenth Letter

 A/N: I can't even begin to verbalize how sorry I am for the wait on this. A couple weeks ago I went to California on vacation and my muse was shot to hell cuz I had family problems and if that wasn't enough, I'm nervous about starting my first year in college tomorrow so yeah...I've been a mess. Again, I'm so so so sorry for the wait & as always, I hope you enjoy! Thanks for being so loyal & supporting me through this tough time. ONE. MORE. CHAPTER. BEFORE IT'S ALL REVEALED. And I may have an extra surprise for you guys later. :)

 Lucy woke up on her fifteenth birthday feeling nothing. Birthdays weren’t as special as they used to be when she was little because she didn’t have any friends to speak of except Karina and most of all; it was finally starting to get to her that her mother was never here to celebrate her life. Her mother had never been there except for the times when she’d had a change of heart and the only way she ever got a happy birthday from her was in a two-minute phone call. Lucy was tired of using every birthday wish for the last fourteen years on a return that was not likely to happen. She felt like she was wasting her hope but yet, a part of her refused to stop hoping. That part of her was still a little girl who desperately craved her mother’s attention and would stop at nothing to get it. Lucy forced herself to get out of bed when her alarm clock beeped for school.  After she dressed, she headed downstairs, smelling chocolate-chip pancakes. 

She breathed in the pleasing aroma of melted chocolate as she forced herself to smile.  “Morning, Dad.”

Jane put the second pancake on the plate and turned, smiling at his daughter as he brought her birthday breakfast to the bar. “Good morning, love, happy birthday.”

Lucy gave him a small smile. “Thanks, Dad. These look amazing.”

“You’re welcome. You’re not grounded anymore so Karina can come over tonight if you want.” Jane suggested as he ate a forkful of eggs from his plate on the counter.

“Ok, I had something I wanted her to help me with.” Lucy said carefully.

“Like what?” Jane asked, with slight suspicion in his tone.

“Oh, just some school stuff.” Lucy lied. She sensed her father could see through it but when he didn’t ask her anything else, she felt relieved.

“Alright, now, let’s go or you’re going to be late for school.” Jane said, finishing his eggs as Lucy finished her pancakes.

“Fine.” Lucy said, as her father put the empty plates in the sink.

Lucy then grabbed her backpack and slung it over one shoulder, following her father out the door.

Once they were both in the car, Jane glanced at her after they buckled up. “I know you’ve had a hard time with Isabella these last few years but you can’t let her bother you. Letting her see your displeasure only makes her tease you further. The only way to stop a bully is to take away the source of their power.”

Lucy raised an eyebrow. “How did you know?”

“Your reluctance to go to school and the time you punched her in the face when you were eleven were rather obvious clues.” Jane answered, starting to drive.

“Oh…yeah. I forgot about that.” Lucy replied.

“Also, I know why you why you have me drop you off around the back of the school. It’s because you’re afraid people will recognize me from your party.” Jane stated.

Lucy bit her lip, ashamed. “I’m sorry, Dad, I didn’t mean to hurt you, I--.”

“I know, it’s alright, Lucy. Just don’t give Isabella any reason to have power over you. You’re stronger than that. You’re your mother’s daughter.” Jane assured her.