Chapter 8-The Eighth Letter

Chapter 8: The Eighth Letter

A/N: I know most of you probably want my head right now cuz this took so freaking long & I'm sorry, my life has been a hot mess because I'm trying to graduate this year & suddenly the things you wanna do take a back seat so, enough of my ranting, please enjoy. P.S. I tried to fix any mistakes so if there's any I missed, I'll reread it later. Now, I'm going to do homework. *sigh*

Jane was starting to hate work. Everywhere he went in the CBI, he was reminded of Teresa. Everything they said, everything they did, and every damn case they’d solved since he was first signed on to her team. Everything he looked at brought back some kind of memory he’d tried over and over to forget. He never thought about Katherine as much as he did Lisbon. He knew it was wrong, of course, being that he was seeing Katherine now in secret, but he couldn’t get Teresa out of his mind. He supposed that after loving someone so strongly and so deeply, it was almost impossible to erase them from your mind. He’d even been putting off sleeping with Katherine because he was working on trying not to feel guilty if he did so. He remembered when Katherine kissed him and he’d kissed back, not feeling any kind of guilt. Just for that one moment, it felt as if he could finally move on and forget Teresa…and what she did. But after the kiss was over, he was forcibly thrown back to reality and constantly reminded that she would always be a part of him, and that she could never be forgotten. He knew it would be like trying to erase permanent marker: impossible.

Grace walked into the bullpen a few moments later, and Jane opened his eyes and sat up.

“Morning, Jane, how are you? Did you stay here all night?” she asked.

Jane shook his head. “No, I just thought I’d arrive early.”

The truth was he hadn’t been able to sleep well since Katherine had kissed him so he often stayed overnight at the CBI, burying himself in cold case files. For once in his life, he was the one scared that Lisbon would find out about them, probably from Grace, and then Lisbon would fall out of love with him. That notion scared him most of all. Right now, he knew Lisbon had two factors pulling her home that she struggled to ignore: her love for Lucy and her love for him. If her love for him evaporated, he was certain there’d be no chance of her return. Lucy wouldn’t be enough to pull her home. There was only one time that he’d stayed overnight that he remembered with any level of clarity…because it was with Lisbon. It was also the second time Teresa Lisbon had done something impulsive for once in her life…

It was late one night at the CBI and Lisbon was finishing case reports. It was a month after Jane had told Lisbon he loved her and two weeks after they’d made love for the first time. There were a few lone agents left in the building doing the same. The corners of Jane’s mouth turned up as he watched her work through her office window from his couch. He smirked as the idea to distract her entered his mind. He got up from his couch and strolled into Lisbon’s office without knocking, as usual.

She glared at him, noticing his smirk. “Don’t you dare distract me, Jane or I swear…” she started threateningly.

“I know, you’ll shoot me, but seeing as you haven’t yet, I believe I’m safe.” Jane responded cheekily.

“I wouldn’t count on it,” she muttered as he moved behind her chair.

“Let’s get rid of some that tension, shall we?” he murmured.

“Jane, what’re you…?”  she questioned but trailed off as soon he started rubbing her shoulders. She relaxed into him and felt the tension inside of her ebb away.

He bent down and kissed her neck, whispering in her ear. “I’m distracting you, love.”

Lisbon moaned. “Well, it’s working.”