Chapter Five: The Friendship Formed

Author POV:

Once again, Monday; once again, uniform.

Once again, Lala.

"This is murder, they realise that don't they?" Kaito asked, as he trudged along the hills behind the college.

"Hmm..." Lala was holding a little injured bird in her hands, and it was tweeting in pain. Kaito hadn't realised this, but now, as he watched her fondle it, he smiled. It reminded him of Haruto and his butterflies.

"Lala, it's all well and good trying to take it to the infirmary, but how do we get a bird inside the building?"

"I don't know, but I can't leave it here." With that, Lala directed her attention back to the blonde walking beside her.

"Now, what's murder?" Lala asked.

"This. It is freezing cold. We could all catch hypothermia. I, for one, have a wish to make it home tonight." Lala stifled a giggle.

"Oh, Kaito, you truly are precious." She covered her mouth in attempts to hide her giggle, which Kaito thought was incredibly cute. In realising he thought this, he halted to stop, and the coldness in his cheeks became a hot flush of embarrassment.

"Kaito?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you alright?" Placing a hand on Kaito's forehead, Lala became worried.

"Kaito, you're burning up!"

"Told ya. Hypothermia. I'm dying." He regained his cool composture.

"Please don't." Lala said, an undetected undertone in her voice.

The day went on, pretty much as normal. Physical Education, English, Debating, Religious Studies, and finally a free period for Kaito, whilst Lala had IT. Really, you'd think Dr. Faker would have asked for Kaito to take that sort of subject.

As Kaito arrived on campus on Wednesday morning, Lala ran up to him, aqua eyes shining bright, despite the grey skies.

"Good morning, Kaito-sama." She greeted, happily. Her blue tie was hanging loosely, and her eyelids were glittering with dark grey eyeshadow.

"...Morning..." Kaito replied less enthusiastically: he was tired in short.

"Come on, there's something I need to show you!" Lala chimed, grabbing his hand and leading him into the school building. Kaito was surprised at her gripping his hand, rather than the sleeve she usually grabbed when he wasn't paying attention. They soon arrived at a door with nothing but darkness foreseeable through the small rectangular window. Kaito glanced at his friend, but turned the handle anyway. His eyes lit up upon setting his eyes on a wonderous sight. A huge room surrounded him, the roof circular, with a nova and millions of stars shining down. The sight was simply breathtaking.

"December 12th. Your birthday. I...I looked on the system. So I thought I'd show you this place. I didn't really know you well enough to get you anything else..." She admitted sheepishly. In the corner of his eye, Kaito spotted the moon, and memories from his duel with Mizar came flooding back. His death...how things had changed since then. From wondering how he would discover the Numeron Code, to wondering about his exam answers.

"This is spectacular...!" He looked at Lala in wonder.

"Thank you, Kozuki Lala." He nodded.

"No problem..." With that, Kaito hugged her quickly, before looking like an excited child as he roamed the observatory. Soon, the bell rang for Form and the pair made their way to their form room.