Chapter Four: The Accident

Author POV:

Five days in and Heartland College was proving to be okay, at least. Lala was Kaito's guide at first, but she enjoyed having fun, and often dragged him in. As crazy as she was, Kaito was grateful for her company. She was surprisingly quiet in English, compared to her uncontrollable talking in Mathematics. In Science, her beliefs were often voiced, much to the resentment of the teacher. Debating...now that was Lala's best skill.

Today, Friday, was a warm day, and one for Duelling. Kaito still wasn't sure of its purpose to him, but continued to duel anyway. After all, Heartland College was known for its fantastic Duelling curriculum.

Lala ran outside, hyper, and desperate for a duel.

"Gotta be someone..."She muttered.

"Uh, I'll duel." Kaito offered, not wanting to be dragged around in search of a duel partner for his new acquaintance. Lala spun around, smiled, and threw her duel disk on. She was ready for a challenge.

"Duel Disk, let's go!" Her duel disk unfolded to reveal a black panel and silver lining. Kaito threw his on and both of the duellists' left eyes glowed, Kaito's turning a dark red with a blue tattoo replacing a duel gazer. Lala's eye turned violet.

"Let's Duel!"

"Ladies first!" Lala drew a card.

"First on the field is Navy Leviathan! It's ability allows me to summon it when I have no monsters on my field and summon a replica straight from my deck. Now I overlay both of my monsters! From the depth of Purgatory! Dedicate to the Restless Soul with the Song of Revolution. Echo for eternity, and appear! Xyz Summon! Come forth! Dark Requiem Xyz Dragon!" A dragon formed with darkness and sharp edges appeared on the girl's field. Kaito stepped back from amazement of the creature before him. It radiated royalty. 'Mizeal would love this.' He thought, smirking with confidence.

"I end my turn with two face downs; your move." Lala seemed more confident. Such was her nature, for she had been Duelling for as long as she could remember, relishing the chance to take on any form of competition.

"My...turn!" Kaito drew his card.

The Duel went on all through the thirty minutes of duel period, and Kaito was the victor. Lala lay still on the floor, as Kaito disengaged his duel disk. He walked over to her, arrogance all over his face, but he froze when he saw her frozen.

"Lala? Lala!" He shook her and her eyes opened.

"I'm fine. Wow, you're an incredible duellist." Lala got herself on her feet, whilst Kaito blushed at the compliment.

"Uh, thanks."

"I mean it, Tenjo Kaito." She placed a hand on his shoulder and allowed it to stay there for two seconds.

"Come on." Kaito shook the burning feeling running through his bones off, and headed inside the building.

Home Economics. Kaito was a helpless cook. Lala found the sight of him struggling quite hilarious, when she walked in. She was after ingredients for her own teacher, since her and Kaito were separated in Home Economics.

"Kaito! I need your help with some ingredients."

"You?! Help?!"

"Yes, now come on!" Lala dragged Kaito over to a table of ingredients: he'd became accustomed to her dragging him as if he was a dog.

Lala stood on a stool, to reach a sweet ingredient on higher shelves. She pulled two bags of sugar off and smiled gleefully.

"Gotcha!" She exclaimed, but yelped as her foot slipped. The whole class heard this yelp, a sound they never heard off of Lala, as she wasn't usually in there.

"Lala...!" Kaito caught her swiftly, but slipped on the sugar she'd dropped.

"Oof!" As she landed on his back, his and Lala's lips connected for the smallest of moments. It was barely two seconds, but Kaito could remember the flavour they tasted- cherry-, how soft they felt, and how they seemed to fit perfectly with his own, although the last part he was oblivious to.

The class whistled at this sight, although it was barely two seconds long.

Both blushed as they realised their predicament, Lala being the one to jump off of him, apologising repeatedly.

"I'm so sorry, Kaito! Are you alright? Did I break anything?" Kaito smirked st her worried face, deciding to take opportunity to make her suffer.

"Only my pride...and my ass. Possibly my back; I may be disabled." He laughed in his head as Lala whacked a bag of flour over him and it exploded over them both.

"You're kidding me..." Kaito frowned, but when the teacher went to tell off Lala, Kaito grabbed a bag of sugar, and threw it over his acquaintance- no, friend. And so started the cookery fight that resulted in Kaito's hour detention, with Lala in the Hall. She just guffawed with laughter at him when she met her younger brother Allen outside of the school gates. Kaito walked with them for a while, until he arrived home.

"See you Monday, Kaito." They said their goodbyes, and as Kaito walked into the tower, he couldn't help but think how much he'd changed over the last few days. Cooking, singing, playing keyboard, food fights...but it was all an enlightening experience.

"Kaito! What happened?!" Haruto and Dr. Faker asked, shocked at Kaito's cloudy attire.

"It's a very long story..."

A/N: Not as long as it could be but I wrote a really good long chapter and it was deleted because my iPad spazzed out. Over and out.

Xoxo

​​​​​​​