Chapter Three: The First Day

Author POV:

Kaito didn't particularly struggle with Music, the second period of his five period day. They were learning how to play the keyboard. He was partnered with Lala. The song they were practicing was one that showed deep friendship, but all Kaito had to do was play the keyboard and sing small snippets.

"You're doin' great." Lala whispered as the teacher silenced the assembled students.

"Lala. Now, dear, you're a brilliant singer. Would you care to sing and play?"

"No problem." Lala flashed a bright smile and began singing as Kaito's fingers slid easily across the keyboard.

Kaito: I didn't know what you were going through
I thought that you were fine
Why did you have to hide?

Lala: I didn't want to let you down
But the truth is out
It's tearing me apart, not listening to my heart

I really had to go

Kaito: And I would never stop you

Lala: Even though it changed

Kaito: Nothing has to change

Both: And you can find me in the space between
Where two worlds come to meet
I'll never be out of reach
'Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the space between
You'll never be alone
No matter where you go
We can meet in the space between

Lala: And nothing can stay the same
It's growing pains

Kaito: Be proud of all the scars
They make you who you are (oh, woah)

I know you have to stay
But I'll never really leave you

Both: Nothing has to change even though it changed

And you can find me in the space between
Where two worlds come to meet
I'll never be out of reach
'Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the space between
You'll never be alone
No matter where you go
We can meet in the space between

Lala: There are no words left to say

Kaito: I know you gotta find your place

Lala: But this is not the end (no)

You're part of who I am

Both: Even if we're worlds apart
You're still in my heart it will always be you and me, yeah

You can find me in the space between
Where two worlds come to meet
I'll never be out of reach (I'll never be out of reach) no
'Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the space between
You'll never be alone
No matter where you go
We can meet in the space between, yeah

No matter where you go no matter where you go
We can meet in the space between

Lala smiled at him with such proudness when they'd finished that Kaito had to look away due to his intensifying blush.

"Very good! Magnificent work!" Kaito and Lala exchanged shy glances. The pair started packing up their bags, when Lala got up from picking up a sheet from the floor and came almost nose to nose with Kaito. Their eyes locked for the smallest of moments, but an unknown feeling that he'd never felt before was swirling around Kaito's stomach.

As the bell went, Kaito and Lala snapped out of their trances and awkwardly picked up their bags, heading towards the on site Starbucks.

"This is stupid." Kaito sighed.

"It's not that bad." Lala's attempt to calm Tenjo Kaito were failing. Now, he'd thought his year had been stressful. That was before today. Fourth period, after History, Music and Modern Foreign Languages, he was now stuck in Expressive Arts.

"It's a carrot. That we have to talk to! I hate carrots." Kaito begrudgingly sighed. Around the room, others didn't seem to have more enthusiasm than Kaito himself.

"Alright class. All eyes here, please." Everyone turned to Ayaka-sama, the teacher of Expressive Arts.

"Tenjo Kaito," She started, "Your findings first." Kaito froze up whilst Lala patted his back and gave him a wink, which made his pulse rate improve slightly.

"It's a carrot, Ayaka-Sama. What could you possibly want me to ask it? How it felt to be grown in soil? Where it grew up?" Kaito places his hand on his chin, bored.

"Detention." The teacher stated and Kaito's hand slipped.

"Excuse me?" Kaito demanded.

"You heard me. Now, Kozuki Lala. Let's hear your findings. Or were you too busy flirting with our new addition?" Lala seemed taken aback for all of two seconds.

"Oh please. I love this subject." Lala began, pleasing the teacher. "But, even I have my boundaries and fully agree with Kaito. So I looked up recipes for Home Economics instead." Akaya-Sama's left eye twitched. However, before she could continue, the bell rang. Everyone rushed out.

"Lala, Kaito: I expect you both here after school hours." Lala walked out, waiting at the bottom of the corridor.

"But, I have to pick up my younger brother!" Kaito protested.

"Get Lala in here, and recite a subject you are passionate about. Looking her directly in the eyes, since you both seem to be so close."

"Lala?" Kaito grabbed her off of the corridor, shocking her.

"Well...?" Ayaka-Sama asked

"Okay, I'm passionate about stars in the galaxy, different dimensions and the such. I've already been in a different dimension crazy as that may sound." He stated, surprising Lala, and never blinked once whilst looking into her aqua orbs, that seemed to be brighter than any star in the galaxy. For a moment, Kaito couldn't being himself to look away.

"Dismissed. Detention cancelled." With a jolt, Kaito looked away.

"Can you believe she let us off?!" Kaito was calm whilst Lala remained ecstatic.

"It's not that big a deal."

"Are you kidding?! Oh yeah, you don't know. Detention with Miss Ayaka is horrible! She makes you clean the entire classroom, and copy out the dictionary three times."

"Oh. Now that'd be bad." Kaito looked blank.

"Tell me about it. I've been in detention with her at least three times this year." Lala let off a smooth laugh and Kaito found himself smiling along with her.

Walking into the large sitting room at the top of Heartland Tower, Kaito ignored his father's presence and slouched down.

"Kaito-" Dr. Faker frowned.

"Um, where's Haruto?" Kaito mentally facepalmed.

"Orbital!" Kaito flew over the city, until his eyes settled upon Heartland Elementary. The playground was bare, but when he landed, Haruto ran straight to him.

"I'm so sorry, Haruto."

"I can't believe you forgot about me. Don't worry. Yume's mum forgot about her as well."

"I made loads of new friends: how about you, nii-san?" An image of Lala raced across his mind, the way she had managed to make him smile and he nodded.

"Yeah, I guess I did too."

"Yessss!!! That's great!" Kaito ruffled his little brother's hair and began the walk home.

​​​​​​​