Chapter Twelve: The Murder

Drawing by LianApproaching

Harry lunges at Black. Maybe it was shock, but he didn't raise a wand to defend himself. Harry grabs one of his wrists, forcing the wands away. His other hand, and I wish this wasn't true, punches Sirius in the side of the head.

They fall back into the wall, Hermione screaming. Black tries to cast something, just barely missing Harry. Black manages to wrap his free hand around Harry's throat, choking him.

"No," He hisses. "I've waited too long."

Harry is being choked, his glasses knocked askew. Hermoine and I attack at the same time, her kicking him and me managing to slice his shoulder. Black grunts, letting go of Harry, and Ron throws himself on his wand hand, disarming him. Harry lunges for his wand, only to be attacked by Crookshanks.

Harry's wand is almost snatched by the cat, only for him to have to dodge a kick from Harry. I struggle to keep the larger man on the ground. The wand is grabbed by the boy.

"Get out of the way!" Harry shouts at us. We don't need to be told twice, scrambling away quickly. Hermione grabs our wands, giving me mine as Ron looks like he's going to be sick. Harry points his wand straight at Black's chest.

"Going to kill me, Harry?" He whispers. I feel apprehensive. Harry isn't supposed to be a killer. That's not him.

"You killed my parents." He sounds furious.

Black stares at him with his sunken eyes, one of which is has a bruise forming around it. A small bit of blood trickles out of his nose, as well as the gash on his shoulder from my knife. I wipe the blade on my pants.

"I don't deny it." He's quiet. "But of you knew the whole story-"

"The whole story? You sold them out to Voldemort, that's all I need to know!"

I have to stop him. I can't let Harry kill him. I will, if I have to, but Harry won't be able to handle it. He's still so innocent. I can't let h-

My panicked thoughts are cut off by a ginger ball swiftly planting itself on top of the murderer, right over his heart.

"Get off." Black doesn't seem to want Crookshanks to be hurt, trying to push him away, only for the feline to sink his claws into his robes, securing himself in place. Hermione gives a small sob.

Harry stared at them. He raised the wand, continuing to stare.

"Harry, don't d-"

"Be quiet Nico." He growls.

A new sound, footsteps, came from below them.

"WE'RE UP HERE!" Hermione screams, startling me. "WE'RE UP HERE! SIRIUS BLACK! QUICK!"

The footsteps are thudding up the stairs, Harry still staring at the criminal. The door bursts open with sparks, and Lupin bursts into the room, looking like he had seen a ghost, wand raised.

His eyes flick over Ron with his broken leg, Hermione cowering in fear, me with my knife, Harry pointing his wand at Black, and finally to Sirius, bleeding on the ground.

"Expelliarmus!" He shouts, wands flying from Harry and Hermione's hands, as well as the knife from mine. Lupin catches the wands, knife embedding itself in the wall. This wasn't right. I was unarmed, save for my sword necklace. I feel some of the shadows in the room wrap themselves around me, as if trying to remind me that they're still there, awaiting command.

Lupin walks across the room to the convict with the cat on his chest. The way he was staring at him looked he was would either kill or kiss him. "Where is he, Sirius."