Chapter Nine: A Letter and Threats

Nico POV

I haven't been sleeping well since the war, barely getting a half hour a night if any. I know others are starting to take notice of my state, specifically a nosy girl with brown hair. I'm trying to avoid her, but that's kinda hard when she's one of your only friends at school.

I really want to tell her why there was no possible way of us being in a relationship or whatever it is she wants, but even with Jason claiming that the world has changed, I still doubt that. For me, the 40's customs are current customs.

I flinch at the noise of hundreds of owls flying into the Great Hall at breakfast, cursing myself at how paranoid I'm being.

"Scared di Angelo?" Malfoy questions in that mocking tone of his.

I lean across the table towards him. "If you don't stop with the jabs Malfoy, I will shove this apple down your throat so you can resemble the pig you are."

I take a bite of the apple, not breaking eye contact. Malfoy doesn't say anything, paler than before. I sit back in my seat just as Cerberus the owl lands in front of me with a package clutched in his feet. I sigh when I notice that it had ripped cords that weren't tied to his feet.

"Did you attack the owl carrying this?" He hoots in response. "I've told you that you aren't the only owl allowed to give me things. If an owl is addressed to me, just let it do its job."

Cerberus flys off, done with my lecturing. I take the letter attached to the package and tear it open. I unfold the paper, smiling lightly at the familiar handwriting.

Hey Neeks!

I miss my favourite patient (though I'm technically not allowed to have favourites). I know you'll be back soon but I still wish you could have stayed so I could make sure you're not hurting yourself with your mumbo jumbo.

Anyway! In the package is a new thing my siblings and I are working on! It's still experimental, but we don't think it will harm you, and out of everyone here, I think you need it the most. Take one of the tablets each night and you should be able to go a few hours without dreams. Perce tried it and it worked alright. You can only have them once every two days though, since its very concentrated nectar. Sweet no dreams!

L̶o̶v̶e̶,̶ From,

I must be smiling more than I thought because the letter is snatched out of my hand

I must be smiling more than I thought because the letter is snatched out of my hand. I look up to see Malfoy, apparently already recovered from my threat, reading my letter. I stand up and face him.

"Give it back Malfoy." I growl. I can see the room get darker, and I just hope no one else notices.

"Who's 'Doctor William Solace', huh? Some weirdo american doctor? Some freak signing his letters to patients with love?" Malfoy mocks, or maybe asks.

"I said give it back." I take a step closer to him, itching to grab my sword necklace, but not wanting to get arrested for disposing of this weasel.

"Why should I? Will Neeks get angry?"

I kick him in the stomach, making him fall to the ground as he gets pushed back a couple feet. I grab the letter from his hand and scoop up my package from the table, walking out of the hall despite the protests of several teachers.

Sorry for the short chapter after a long wait! Summer school and a lack of references really put a stop to my writing of this I guess. I will continue better now since I actually have summer, so I'm looking forward to that!

Goodnight Matchsticks!

Love,
Sammy