Chapter 23

Jen's POV

I wake up because my phone rings. The bed where I was sleeping in is so warm and comfy, especially with Josh lying next to me with his arms wrapped around me. My boyfriend is still asleep. My boyfriend. I'm so happy. Unfortunately my phone keeps ringing and I don't want to wake up Josh, so I carefully unwrap his arms. I press answer.

"Jen... hospital in Louisville..." I hear the panicky voice of my mum

"Mam, what's up?" I ask worried while walking to the 'living room'

"Jen ... it's your brother Ben ... he's in life danger..." I hear her crying on the phone, so my dad takes the phone over.

"Jen, your brother Ben is in life danger. The police found him one hour ago in the Knobs State Forest and he was losing a lot of blood. We are now in the hospital in Louisville, the one close to our old house. Blaine is on his way and you have to come too, there may be a chance he's not al-"

Oh god. This can't be true. My brother Ben. I almost start hyperventilating.

"Listen dad, I'm comming, I'm going to pack right now and I'll take the first flight to Louisville or a city close to Louisville. I'll pray for him."

I hang up and put my phone on the coffee table next to Josh's and in a rush I start packing, cramming everything in my suitcase as fast as I can. I pull on jeans and a sweater and put my wallet into my purse.

For a moment I hesitate. I can't leave Josh here, can I? No, I don't want to ruin his vacation. I'll call him later. It's too early for this. I glance on the clock. It's 3 AM. I plant a soft kiss on his forehead before I go, and then I leave the hotel room.

I call for a taxi and fortunately it comes fast. I tell the guy to take me to the airport.

The whole ride I'm thinking of my brother. How can he be in an accident? Was it even a accident? They found them in the forrest. I remember my mom calling me a few days earlier. I guess it's my fault. I told her not to worry, and now Ben is in life danger.

In a couple of minutes I'm at the airport. The flight to Louisville goes around 10 AM. I don't have 7 hours! I need to go to Louisville now! Luckily the flight to New York starts boarding in 10 minutes. I ask if I can buy a ticket for that flight and they say I can. I buy my ticket.

10 minutes later a women on the intercom says that the flight to New York starts boarding. As fast as I can I walk to the plane and take a seat. I buckle my seatbelt and wait for the plane to take off.

"Attention, this is the captain speaking. We're about to take off so please buckle your seatbelts and have a nice flight." I hear a man's voice saying.

And finially, we're flying to New York.

Josh's POV

I wake up in an empty bed. Oh, Jen must be already up. I don't hear the shower so I guess she is clothing. 

After a few minutes I'm wondering where she is. I get up off the bed and go to the bathroom. No Jen. The door to the little bedroom is open. I walk inside. No Jen. And then I notice the weird part. Her stuff isn't in that room. I rush to the bathroom and see that she took her toothbrush, hairbrush deodorant and shampoo. 

The truth hit me like a bus. She left. She's gone.

I search for any letters. Maybe she wrote why she left. Or where she went. 

No letters, not even a short word on a sticky note.

I decide to call her and walk to the coffee table. No phone. I head to the nightstand. No phone. To the bathroom. No phone. I'm looking everywhere but I can't find my phone. I guess she took my phone with her when she left. I did find Jen's favorite sweater, the one she wore yesterday. I can still smell her scent which makes me miss her even more.