Chapter 1

Copyright © 2018 Nicole Mckoy

Traci P.O.V.

The cab arrived outside of my mother's house and I saw that she still decorated the outside of the house the same for Christmas.

She had lights on the outside of the house and a sleigh with Santa and his reindeer in the front yard.

I remember growing up she would go all out with the decorations inside and out. Christmas had always been my favorite time of year. I loved when it would get cold and we could burn a fire in the fireplace and have hot chocolate.

My friends always liked coming over to my house during the holidays because my mother kept everything so festive.

She always held an annual Christmas party allowing the neighbors to drop by and we had a gift exchange. It was fun.

I stepped out of the cab as the cab driver got my suitcase out of the trunk.

I paid the driver then headed up my mother's driveway.

I noticed a truck I slightly recognized parked in the driveway.

I just couldn't put my finger on where I'd seen that truck before.

I stepped onto the front porch and rung the doorbell.

I knew my mom would be surprised to see me.

I stood waiting for an answer for a couple moments then the front door swung back and I saw my mother through the screen door.

"Traci!" my mother said surprised.

"Hey mom," I smiled.

She opened the screen door and quickly pulled me into a tight hug.

"Traci it's been forever since you've been home for the holidays. I'm so glad you decided to come surprise me," my mother gushed happily.

I hadn't been back home since I left for college.

A little before high school graduation my father died. I was a daddy's girl growing up so that loss hurt me bad. I guess I just needed to distance myself from Roselake to heal myself.

My mother always kept in touch though. We talked on the phone, we'd facetime, she'd send me care packages and everything. I just couldn't stomach coming back home for the longest. Then I got my own life started and more time just seemed to pass and before I knew it it'd been twelve years since I'd been back here.

"The place looks the same," I said.

"Oh well I haven't changed much. You know me," my mother said.

My mother moved back and we went inside.

As I stepped inside I could smell my mother's homemade sweet potato pie.

"Is that sweet potato pie I smell," I said.

"Yup. I just took it out the oven," my mother smiled.

"You think I could have a slice?" I asked.

"Of course sweetheart. But tell me are you here alone or is that handsome fiancé of yours joining you?" my mother asked.

"Things with Beck are over. I don't really want to talk about it," I said.

"Oh well sweetheart I'm sorry to hear that. But you know everything happens for a reason. Please tell me you're staying until Christmas," my mother said.

"Yeah I'll be here for Christmas," I said.

"Oh great well you can stay in your old room. I haven't changed a thing in there," my mother said.