Chapter Twenty Two - Candidate

Start from the beginning

Cal opened his mouth to respond but Kat was already walking away.

She fumed silently. She followed Tate's scent to a thick metal door. She'd never been in this room before. Tate leaned against the wall opposite it.

"After you, Luna." He looked downcast.

Kat entered the room, the brightness taking her by surprise. The walls, like the rest of the house, were painted white and silver. An ornate oak desk shone in the sunlight, two comfy leather chairs sat in front. It was eerily neat. A huge window dominated the wall behind the desk chair. Kat moved to look at the view, realising this was the window he had watched her from when she was led to the showers before her pit fight. Where he watched her being dragged to the silver cross.

"He doesn't come in here much. Only when he wants to be alone." Tate sank into one of the leather seats.

Kat frowned. She remembered clearly a time when Tia was in here with him. She felt her jealousy rise at the memory.

She shook it away, sitting in the desk chair. A thin fur lined the leather seat. She rubbed it, frowning.

"It's werewolf hide. The first one Cal killed in battle." Tate offered helpfully.

Kat nodded. Her father had one similar.

"Tate. We need to discuss us."

"Us, Luna?" Tate blushed.

"See, you act like you don't know what I mean but you blush. You look at me in front of Cal in an inappropriate way. I want to know why."

"I don't understand. You're asking me why I'm attracted to you?"

"I'm asking you why you would anger your Alpha by looking at his mate this way. You risk your life every time you do it."

"I can't help it Kat." Tate pulled his hair tightly at the back of his head, "Goddess, I wish I could. This would all be so much easier."

"What do you mean?"

Tate held his head in his hands, mumbling.

"I can't hear you."

Tate looked up at her, eyes tortured.

"We're possibilities."

Kat's mouth fell open. She had spent her whole life with no one and now in the same pack she found her true mate and a possibility.

"I know you're with Cal and he's your true mate. I just can't help thinking about what would have happened if we'd met earlier. If we'd had time together before you met him. If you chose me over him."

"How could I choose you over my true mate?"

"It's been known to happen. It's the reason the Moon Goddess gives us possibilities. To test our bond with our true mate."

Kat sighed.

"Didn't the feelings for me go when Cal and I mated?"

Tate shook his head sadly. Kat frowned.

"Touch me."

Tate stared at her like she'd grown a head.

"Not like that." She rolled her eyes and held out her hand.

Tate pushed his finger into her palm, before enveloping her hand in his. She felt it, the fire. Not like her and Cal, but still there, persistent. She watched Tate close his eyes and savour the feeling. She understood that for him, this was incredible. But she had felt the real thing, the intensity was nothing compared to her true mate.