Every so often during those weeks, Terrence and Edgar's lot would have a go at Penny, but as horrid as they were, Edgar at least kept his hands to himself, apparently not willing to push his luck with Obi again. And at lunch one day, Penny learned firsthand why the gang avoided harassing Septimus, despite clearly having it in for the "freaky" kids.

With his sullen expression and long black hair covering half of his pallid face, Septimus cut a morose figure and the other students tended to give him a wide berth. It was Susan's bad luck to have not been looking where she was going while chatting to Angela Tipton, another snooty girl in Susan's year.

"I don't think I'll ever get algebra," Obi was griping as he dug into his shepherd's pie.

"Well at least yours is simple—you're just in beginning Algebra," said Abigail a bit shrilly, "We've got an exam on Friday and I still can't make heads or tails of quadratic equations—and you know how strict Miss Farthing is."

"Alright," huffed Penny, her whiskers quivering and furry ears twitching as she rolled her eyes, "I'll help you both tonight—but that means no television—"

"Oi—watch where you're going!" Susan's sharp voice carried across the dining hall, startling all three of them.

They glanced up to see Susan suddenly looking frightened; her lunch tray had tipped, and mashed potato and gravy were sliding down the front of Septimus's school blazer.

"You did that on purpose," Septimus snarled.

"No—no," she squeaked, "I-I'm sorry—I didn't see you—"

"Liar!" shouted Septimus, his face twisted with fury, "I know what you lot think of me—you've been planning this for ages—thought you'd have a good laugh at the freak, didn't you?"

"No, I promise I didn't—please—"

A shriek of terror filled the dining hall. Penny gaped in horror when maybe a hundred or more spiders, some of them as large as tarantulas, appeared out of thin air and swarmed all over Susan. The sixth-year girl flailed around screaming and sobbing, trying to knock the spiders off with her hands as her friend Angela dove out of the way. There were more shouts and yells; students leapt out of their seats and scattered as dozens of the enormous arachnids scurried towards their tables.

Vivian and Richard, the two Monitors dining with students that day, looked just as horrified as everyone else and were frozen in place.

"THAT'S ENOUGH, SEPTIMUS!" Miss Hastings bellowed as she stormed into the dining hall, stomping on several of the spiders. "Stop it this instant, or so help me, you'll be in the Time-Out room for a week!"

Septimus's eyes widened, and for a moment he looked almost as frightened as Susan, who was still shrieking. The spiders all vanished instantaneously, and Susan collapsed to the floor, shaking violently and sobbing.

"It wasn't my fault," said Septimus defiantly, jutting out his chin. "Look what she did to me!"

"That's no excuse!" snapped Miss Hastings. "A bit of mashed potato on your front is hardly an offence deserving a nuclear response—"

The deputy headmistress shot a severe look at Vivian and Richard who were still frozen in shock.

"You two," she barked, "Do your jobs! Vivian, take Miss Spencer to the infirmary at once—and Richard, you will please escort Mr. Reed to the Time-Out room..."

"No, wait, please," said Septimus, looking terrified again. "I didn't mean it—it won't happen again! I promise!"

"You'd best hope not, or next time it will be a week," said Miss Hastings severely. "You're lucky I'm only chucking you in there till this evening—then it's off to your dorm for the night."