Chapter 60

Nathaniel

We almost acquired a tour guide.

Almost.

The man who offered to give a tour looks suspicious, in my opinion. The way he stared at us from across the street was downright creepy. The fact that I noticed him first right after we got off the bus was already a sure sign that the man is bad news. And don't get me started on the way he looked Carter up and down, undressing her with those sinful eyes, before he turned his attention to me as if sizing me up.

Luckily, Carter's with me when I adamantly refused his offer, telling the guy that she's got enough knowledge about the area (I doubt that one, but didn't dare voice my thoughts), and a tour is not necessary. When the guy still insisted, I was about to tell him to go fuck himself, because I'm getting pissed, when Carter raised her hand, stared directly at the man's eyes, and told him to stop, that his services will not be needed as we would like to enjoy the experience to ourselves. When he opened his mouth to say something more, Carter pointedly glared at him, immediately shutting him up before scurrying off from us.

I was speechless. I just witnessed Carter, the princess of Switzerland, told a man off like the princess she is.

When the man was out of our sight, she raised her chin in defiant at the direction the man went off to before turning around to walk up to our destination.

Jogging up to catch up and walk beside her, I realized she must have been scared at the whole encounter because the moment I touched her elbow, she jumped and let out a squeal. I raised my hands up in surrender before bursting in laughter. I know the distraught and almost terrified look on her face was nothing to be laughed about but considering what she said and did earlier, I just can't help it.

When she grasped the fact that I was laughing at her, her distraught face melted into irritation while I doubled over in laughter.

"You think this is funny?" she sneered.

"I'm sorry," I started, wiping my tears of laughter, and not being sorry at all. "It was just..." I tried saying again but failed to contain my mirth so I just let it all out for a few more minutes before finally straightening myself. When I look at her, she now held a murderous face, and she seemed ready to kill at the moment. I cleared my throat and offered a smile.

"To tell you honestly, I can't believe you were scared the whole time," I finally confessed.

"Who wouldn't be scared at that ordeal?"

"You mean you're really scared the whole time you were telling that guy off? That you were scared despite the authority in your demeanor?"

She glared before saying, "of course I was! I just forced myself not to show any signs of fear. A guy like that feeds on fear. He knows full well that we are mere travelers in a foreign land who knows little if not nothing about the country. If you show him that you're scared or show any hint of fear or just entirely clueless, he would be even more confident to carry out a crime."

"How would you even know that?"

"Some of the staff at the hotel warned me about the dangers in the city, especially to foreigners because most are easy targets and are very gullible."

"Oh..."

"Anyway, enough about that. I don't want this day to be ruined just because of that."

She took a deep breath before giving me a smile. Smiling in return at the most incredible woman before me, I held out my hand. She giggled and laced her fingers with mine. And together, we finally entered the National Museum.

*****

Looking outside, one can say that the whole building is too simple to be a museum. But the inside is a different story altogether. Because the interior is anything but simple.