Chapter 23

Nathaniel

"I think you were already halfway across the world if you're not just pacing around the room."

I stopped in my tracks. "That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, mom."

She looked up, closed her book, and then folded her hands in her chest. Uh-oh

"Because you are being ridiculous. Why are you acting like a teenage boy scared of being dumped by her prom date? You said it yourself, she's your Personal Assistant, she's not your boss, nor the president's daughter. It's just your PA coming over."

I paced the room again. She's right. Why the hell am I being nervous about her coming over? It's not like I did something wrong.

Correction. You did do something wrong.

Great! My subconscious is turning against me again.

"Will you stop pacing around like an idiot? Now that my eyes are focused on you, you're making me dizzy."

I shook my head and crashed my ass on the couch next to my mom.

"If you're afraid that I will grill her on what you did to her, don't worry, I won't," she said, in a way that always made me feel relaxed because the tone she used just now is the same as saying, I'll be true to my words.

She leaned her head on my shoulder and put her arms on my back. "You know, your Nana and I had a little chat about your mood swings ever since you met her."

I felt my body tense at that. "She's quite fond of the girl, your Nana. The first time she saw her, she knew right then and there that she has a kind heart. And yes, my dear son, I believe her."

"How can you be sure that she's kind? You haven't even met or even seen her."

"Woman's intuition. Besides, the way she talked about your PA is unusual."

"Unusual?" I laughed. "What do you mean?"

"You know, she never liked the girls you hired as secretary. She said they are always wearing provocative clothes. That's the reason why she's always giving them a hard time."

"So that's the reason." Unbelievable. "If she said so, then I could just order them to–Ahh!"

My mom slapped the back of my head. "What's that for?"

"Are you really that stupid? Can't you even tell when a girl is trying to seduce you?"

I smirked at my mom.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"Why do you have to ask that, mom? I mean, look at me!" I said, trying to rile her up. When she glared daggers at me, I grinned even more.

"It's not unusual for a girl to show off their assets when I'm around. The unusual is to have a girl punch me in the face and how it never went out in public," I said and felt the smirk immediately left my face as I realized something. That's right! There are many people at that time in the party who witnessed what happened, yet it never reached any newspapers. How was that possible?

Before I could further dwell on my thoughts, I was interrupted with the familiar voice of my personal assistant.

Speak of the devilmore like the angel

"Good Afternoon, Mr. Westwood, and Mrs. Westwood," she greeted as she stood at the doorway of the room. "I apologize for not knowing that Mrs. Diaz resides here with you."

Her beautiful face is a mask of confused smile as she looked at me then at my mom who was currently gaping at her.

"I was just visiting them. Don't worry. No harm done. And Nana, already informed me that you were invited here."