Chapter 15

Alexander

I watched from a distance how everyone seemed mysterious with their masks on. It's hard to believe that this "masquerade ball" was the idea of the infamous Winzenried twins. I have to admit, they may be quite irresponsible, but their choice in an event like this is fantastic. And it is also quite fitting for welcoming me into the world of business and expenditure.

I was told by the organizer of this event that I will only appear to everyone once I was introduced.

Honestly, to hell with the organizer! I don't care what she wants. Everyone is wearing a mask anyway. They won't even notice that the host of this party is now mingling with them. As long as I don't introduce myself, I don't think there will be a problem.

Besides, it's better to get to know these people before getting out from the shadows. Talking to them without knowing who I am will surely bring out their true colors. Because even for a few minutes, I can learn the intentions and ulterior motives of most people around here, and it's all thanks to the masks.

When Prince Luca and Prince Cedric proposed ("forced" is more likely the appropriate term if I'm being honest) the theme of wearing a mask, I was skeptical. The royal twins are famous for their weird antics, and according to some of my father's advisers, they like scheming things. But nonetheless, I accepted their proposal. And it turned out to be in my favor.

Part of the reason I accepted was because their company is or biggest investor. They also promised to attend on behalf of their parents, who are in a business trip. Having a royal representative in a party attracts the attention of every businessman.

I went to the ballroom and was pleased with what I saw. Of course, this is where I will find the predators in the business world. These people have no sense of mysteriousness. Once they targeted some potential investors, they take off the mask and reveal another but different kind of mask to them.

Some women are clinging to their men, and some are just being envious of the place.

Did I mention that my father insisted on buying this bullshit of a penthouse for me?

I already agreed to have a welcoming party but forcing me to have this as my living space in the city was going overboard. Who, in their right mind, would want to live alone in a huge house? It has too many rooms. What does my dad think? Did he think I could cut myself in pieces, so I could sleep in all those rooms?

Control, I told myself.

I have to focus on my mission. But thinking about my father and the things I planned on doing seemed suffocating.

I was about to go to the balcony when a girl in a red dress bumped into my chest.

"Whoops, sorry."

"Careful miss–" I started but she was so busy dragging another girl somewhere. "Yeah, careful"

I know I haven't been introduced to everyone and currently wearing a mask but somehow, people not knowing bothers me a bit. But I guess the mask worked, to say the least.

But that was a surprise. I didn't think I would see people playing around in this party.

As I approach the balcony, I immediately recognize Mr. and Mrs. Border at the glass rails. They obviously recognized me too as Mrs. Border waved for me to join them.

"Alexander, dear. This is a great party," she said as she gave me a hug. In all honesty, Mrs. Border has been the nicest woman I have ever met after mom.

"Thank you, Mrs. Border. I hope you are enjoying yourselves," I said as I shook hands with her husband.

"Oh, we are. It's just a shame that our daughter wasn't able to attend. By the way, I have to ask. Where is the bathroom here? I just have to fix my hair. The wind managed to destroy the beautiful hairdo my stylist did."