Chapter 21

Nathaniel

Was it something I said? Because I have no idea what my mouth is capable of saying.

I've been brooding for a week. For some reason, Vanessa's sudden indifference is affecting my mood. And that annoys the hell out of me.

I can't figure out what buttons I accidentally pressed. I have no idea why she's acting distant, not like we're close or anything. But lately she's been acting weird.

And it's affecting me, BADLY!

She always greets everyone with a sincere smile. But now, she's just greeting, like it's being forced. And whenever I say something rude, she's just nodding like an obedient child―not really understanding or even paying attention to my words. And lately, she also gets startled easily. Like yesterday, I just said, Good Morning and she dropped all the files she was carrying.

I asked if there's something bothering her, but she said that she's fine. But damn her! Clearly she's not fine. She even looks thinner and paler than usual or maybe it's just because of her gloomy appearance despite reverting back to her more formal clothing.

Ever since the meeting with Mr. Kinsley, she's been acting weird. I asked her what happened, or what he did to her, but she said he did nothing, and that she's fine, and that I should stop fussing about her.

So, I stopped asking and simply observed.

Damn it! I am so frustrated. I already yelled half of the employees in my company after hearing them gossip about I don't know what. My mom's hot chocolate and marshmallows did not even soothe my nerves―as a child those are the ways to calm me.

I tried to recall what happened.

She and Jessica entered the conference room quietly.

As I was presenting, I saw that Alexander Kinsley is staring at both of them intently, as if recognizing them both somewhere.

I remembered trying to focus on my presentation but when I saw Vanessa staring back, I snapped.

Okay. So maybe it's my fault.

I must have said something mean to her in front of our investors, our most important investor at that.

Does that mean I have to make it up to her?

Yes!

Why the hell would I do that? She was ogling at someone important to the company.

Because you're a dick at the ball, at the conference, and you're not functioning well.

My mind is at war with myself, but I guess I have to make a choice.

Therefore, I conclude that I need to make it up to her. Because I am really not function well and it's affecting me and the whole office. If making it up to her will get my mind back on track, then fine.

To hell with anything else!

I called her on the intercom and told her to make a reservation to an expensive restaurant.

"Uh, which restaurant, exactly?"

"Anywhere you like."

Silence.

"Uhm... I'm sorry what?"

"Choose any restaurant you like?"

"Why would I do that?"

She's skeptical. Figures.

"Because I want you to."

"Anywhere I like?"