"How many?"

"The two I saw tonight, and maybe twenty more. Maybe twice that number if the rumors are true... and he'll probably try to scoop up any of Charlie's guys who are still sucking air. They are called the Calvary Boys."

Tom tied off the last stitch and began applying a fresh dressing. "Why'd they attack you?"

"They didn't. I, um, kind of attacked them. I mean, it's the mission to kill them all." She touched Tom's arm. "Tom... I think they have Sam."

"What?"

"I saw them slapping the crap out of a kid, and he wasn't alone. He was with a Native boy. Sam, what, fifteen, sixteen?"

"Seventeen. The other boy is named Lalon. What was this kid wearing?"

She thought about it. "Jeans, dark shirt with red stripes and a best with a lot of pockets."

Tom exhaled a burning breath. "That's not Sam. That's his friend, Benny Chong."

"That who you're looking for? The kid?"

"No, I'm looking for... Mal."

She squinted at him. "Mal? As in the sad story of the girl you've taken care of as Sam, but separated and thought was dead? Damn."

"She lives as a Savior. Brother David's place is overrun from a herd and we split up. She's with Negan, so they'll be heading straight to Wawona, and-" he huffs out a breath, a twitch snaked over his neck, causing his spine to turn cold. "She had gone through a lot, but she has someone. Someone she likes."

"And who's the lucky guy?"

"...Negan..." He mutters under his gritted teeth.

She barks a laugh. "Negan? The Negan? Well, he's a handsome devil and all the women's panties are out the window, but how old is she? And I heard he has wives."

"Yeah, he has wives for fun and weird rules. He's twice too old for her, but he says he'll wait until legal age. Fortunately, he confessed his feelings and he loves her."

Sally scoffs a laugh, chuckling as she shakes her head at Tom. "You're jealous," she said. "I can hear it in your voice and you have your famous death glare, or what Negan says 'you have a stick up your asshole to give me that look'."

"Jealous?" He said in such confusion.

"Jealous of Mal growing up. You did your part as being a guardian to her, a father. Even you didn't predict the in dividend that led the both of you separate from each other. It's hard, harder for her. But look at her now. She's grown up to fight this world she's born in, found people to be friends, a family, and now she has someone else to look after her. That's why your jealous of Negan and feeling guilty upon yourself. She's not the little girl you knew. She is beyond what you expect and you don't have to worry as much anymore. Don't let that pity you, Tom. Be grateful."

He stood there and thought of her wisdom. She spoke so sincerely and she was right. He wished he could've been with Mal from the years that passed after Lucius War, how much things would of changed, and that Mal wouldn't have been a victim of despair and pain. But things happened that Tom can't even control it, however, situations like this can lead to hope. He has done his job, so now Mal is herself in choice and Negan will be the one to take care of her.

"You always been this wise?" He smiled, and she snorted.

"Never a wise gal, but speaking to you, you need it," she paused. "A lot of people look up to you."

"They shouldn't-"

"You matter to people, Tom. Negan, you, other Bounty Hunters, people look at us as hero's. Sure, a lot us did some pretty wild things to survive. But the thing is that since then you've been the kind of guy people can look at and say, 'Oh yeah, that's how people are supposed to act.' There aren't a lot of examples around since the zoms, man, but you..." She smiled and shook her head.