Legolas sighed and opened his eyes. "No, thank you. And Thaladir," the captain stopped, his hand on the doorknob, "You don't' have to hide your fears from me. We've fought together too long and have seen too much to withhold those things from each other, no matter the circumstance."

Thaladir swallowed and looked at the ground, nodding. Then he walked out, shutting the door behind him and ran a hand over his face. He knew what Legolas had said was right, but he was the captain, he was supposed to protect the younger, prince or no. He had been the one to drag him home after his first mission had gone horribly wrong. He had protected him then, and he felt he had to protect him now.

Thaladir shook his head. Legolas was an accomplished warrior, not a baby brother who needed looking after. He knew he shouldn't worry so much, but Legolas' illness had unnerved him. It wasn't natural.

He stepped off the bottom stair, the floor creaking under him, and moved to the closest open seat at the bar. The bartender asked for his order and he gave it, scanning the room as he did so. It was dark and the damp air pressed against his chest.

Nothing else appeared abnormal and he turned back just as the bartender set down his wine. He took a sip, letting out a breath as he set it back down. It would be nice to rest for a spell in Rivendell, he realized. Even staying the night there was a change of pace, despite the grim at the edge of the countertop that stuck to his fingertips. He scrunched his nose up at it, pulling his hand away.

Just as he was about to down the rest of his wine and head back up, a man, cloaked and hooded, sat down at the other edge of the bar. Thaladir stopped. There was something strange about this man. He had a light about him, but it seemed tainted, smothered in the dark, like what Thaladir had read of orcs when Morgoth had first released them upon the world. It sent a shiver down his spine.

He sat back down and asked the bartender for a refill as he watched the strange man out of the corner of his eye.

The man glanced at him, and his eyes flashed a dim light beneath his cloak. Thalaidr's blood froze for a moment before the man looked away. That was no man.

Thaladir continued to watch him as the bartender poured the man a mug of ale, not something elves normally chose, but that didn't mean much.

The man drank his ale without looking over again. Then he paid the bartender and stood, picking up his bow beside him. His hand pale and covered in scar tissue. Thaladir looked back to the man's face, hoping he had removed his hood so he could catch a glimpse of his face. Only a strip of golden blond hair was visible. He turned away and Thaladir lost him in the crowd.

Thaladir pushed the rest of his wine to the side. The man had unnerved him and he didn't understand why. There was something that didn't set right in his gut, but there was also no evidence to say he was to foul play. He sighed and stood, paying for his two glasses and heading back upstairs.

Legolas sat in the same place he had before and only barely cracked open his eyes when Thaladir stepped in.

"I don't think we should stay here," Thaladir said and Legolas furrowed his brow.

"What do you mean? You said it would be a good idea."

Thaldir shook his head, not quite sure how he should word his tale of the strange man. "I know, but I think there might be someone who means to cause harm. Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I don't have a good feeling about it."

Legolas straightened. Thaladir knew he respected his opinion on these things most of all. "Alright, well, what did you see? Did something happen down there?"

Thaladir shook his head and took a seat opposite his prince on the floor, resting against the bed's footboard. "No, nothing happened. Some man came in and, I truly don't know how to describe it, but he felt as if his fea had been painted in darkness. He felt like one of the ancient orcs that used to roam in the first age. Like he had once been an elf, but darkness had overtaken him."

Legolas shook his head. "That's not possible, is it? I mean, I've never heard of that happening in our lifetimes. Are you certain?"

Thaladir shook his head, eyes downcast. "No, but his eyes glowed dimly. I couldn't get a good look at his face, but his hair was the same color as your father's and his hands were badly scared."

Legolas sat back, biting his thumbnail. His skin was pale and his eyes drooped slightly despite their conversation. Thaladir sighed. He couldn't ask them to leave with him like this. They were probably safer here now anyway. They would be too exposed in the open if they left and too easy to follow if his gut feeling proved correct.

"It is only a hunch," Thaladir finally said. "There's not enough to go off of just yet. I will ask the ellyn if they saw anything and if not, we will stay here for the night. We don't want to risk them following us anyway."

Legolas nodded and his shoulders fell. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back. "Get some rest, Legolas. I will take care of things and be back in a while."

Legolas nodded again and Thaladir held out his hand to help him stand. He swayed for a moment before straightening and heading to bed. Thaladir waited until he was under the blankets and his breathing had evened out before he stepped out of the door and into the hallway.

He asked each soldier, but none of them had seen the strange man, or if they had, didn't recall it. He bit his lip. It was strange. Too strange.

"I mean no disrespect," one of the ellyn said, "But are you certain you're not just over thinking it?" Thaladir looked up at him. "Sir, it's just, we know how the prince is in a bad way and we're all worried about him, but you are especially."

Thalaider let out a long sigh. He was probably right. It was probably nothing. He thanked him and left the room, heading back to his own. When he got there, Legolas was still sound asleep, his soft breaths barely audible over the dying fire. He smiled sadly when he saw him and began unstrapping the last of his weapons before turning in himself, the soft crackling of the fire luring him to sleep.

<><><><><><><><>

Thaladir's throat tickled and he coughed, dry and hard. He couldn't get enough air. Something wasn't right. He opened his eyes to a gray haze. The fire crackled and popped around him, the heat of the blaze making itself known in the small room.

He coughed again. "Legolas?"

No answer.

"Legolas?!"

Still, no answer. He moved out of bed, trying to get to where the prince lay. The floor was warm, sending terror chills up his spine. Just as he was about to reach the bed, something crashed, followed by a snap, and then the floor moved. He dropped to the ground, his hands burning on the floorboards.

Suddenly the structure swayed. He coughed and hurried forward, trying to get to the bed before the building could collapse. He placed his hands on the side of it and pushed himself up. Just then the floor moved again and the bed groaned as the floor caved under his weight. His stomach dropped and pain suddenly exploded in his arm and chest.

Something slammed into his head and he cried out. His mind spun, black spots danced on the edge of his vision. Or was that just the ash? Where was Legolas? He tried to call out, but no sound would leave his throat.

The flames flickered around him. The smoke seemed to tighten a noose around his throat and he coughed. He ears rang, and he barely noticed the voice beside him. He squinted his eyes, trying to make out the figure as they moved closer.

He blinked as his vision began to give out. He started to move, but agony washed over him again and he stayed, laying in the smoldering rubble. His eyes closed, heat washed over him and he waited for the flame to carry him to Mandos, consciousness fleeing his mind.

Not as sure about this chapter, y'all lol Mostly because I'm exhausted and just hoping it makes sense XD Let me know your thoughts on it though! 

-Sierra