Then footsteps padded the ground. I jumped up, unsheathing the sword I hadn't taken off, holding it out before me, hands shaking.

A figure stepped out of the trees, hands raised. "It's just me, my king. It's Captain Thaladir."

I waited until I could see him then lowered the weapon, resheathing it and pushing my hair out of my face. I began picking up the blanket and rolling it away, anything to hide my body's trembles. "You were ordered to stay, captain."

I glanced back as he gave a bow. "Forgive me, my king. But you ordered me to rest. You did not tell me how."

So this is where Legolas picked up his quick-wit. I turned around. "What are you doing here, Captain? You're injured and supposed to be putting together search parties."

Thaladir nodded. "And I did. They are just behind us as well as doubling those at the border in case he comes back on his own. And forgive me, but I heard you had torn out of the stronghold in a frenzy by yourself. I could not rest easy knowing both prince and king were in the forest."

I turned back to the elk. I couldn't help the small smile at his loyalty as I placed the bridle on the beast. "Well, you found me. What do you intend to do now?"

He shifted uncomfortably. He was used to receiving orders from those above him, not giving them. He cleared his throat. "I would ask if I might accompany you. Two is better than one. Saes, my king. I need to help you find him."

The last sentence came out whispered and I realized how much guilt he must be carrying. I nodded. "Alight, Captain. I will allow it. But should your injury becomes a hindrance, I will have no choice but to send you back. We don't have enough Captains in our ranks with your skill and can't afford to lose you." I could only hope he understood through that that I do not blame him.

"Yes, sir," he said. "Thank you, sir." He turned and whistled. A horse's hooves clopped and the animal appeared beside him a moment later. I shook my head at the sight of the supplies. He came prepared at least. That blanket last night wasn't ideal. I mounted and he followed my example soon after, following behind as we made our way further into the forest.

We reached the village that night. The villages stared as I rode through the center of their tiny town. The building offered some cover, but I still felt exposed without the trees.

We rode along and no one attempted to stop us. As we reached the far side of town smoke began to fill the air. My stomach flipped as the charred remains slowly came into view. I gave the elk a gently tap with my heal and she picked up her pace. This was the last place my son was seen. I needed to know every detail of it.

I dismounted and ran towards it, falling to my knees beside it. The soot quickly covered my clothes and hands as I moved boards around hoping for the slightest hint of him.

"Over here, my lord," Thaladir said, crouched down on the other side of the wreckage. I stood and made my way over as quickly as I could, my heart thudding in my chest. I crouched down beside where he pointed to the ground. "This is where I found the bow. Tracks led this way." He stood and lead the way back to a small patch of woods.

We studied the ground, but only picked up on faint traces here and there. It had been far too long and we simply couldn't follow it far into the woods. I went back to the tree line and followed it in again, but it simply disappeared. I climbed the tree where several branches had been broken and were able to pick up on a trail.

"I'm onto something," I told Thaladir. He followed me from below, not wanting to aggravate his injury climbing. But the trail twisted and turned, coming back to where we began. I climbed back down when the branches became whole again. I landed beside Thaladir with a sigh.

"It was probably the trail you made trying to find him, "I concluded. It didn't make any sense. Legolas must have been hurt for him to leave his men the way he did. How could he have covered his tracks so well?

I let myself sink to my knees. "All of them," I whispered. "I've lost all of them." No, Legolas might still be out there.

"I-- I am sorry, my lord..." Thaladir whispered head bowed. "It was my responsibility to get him to Imladris and I failed that duty. I am ready to take whatever punishment the king sees fit." He bowed and I looked up at him.

I took a deep breath, breathing in the very air my son must have. "I release you of your duties as captain." His face crumpled even as he tried to hide it. It was his whole life, everything he had ever strived for, Legolas had told me as much. "Until further notice, you will command and lead the search parties. I want every villager in this town questioned." Tears came to my own eyes as I spoke. "I gave up too quickly on the queen. That mistake will not happen again. We will not stop until he is found, understood?"

A light came into the former captain's eyes, burning with a need to search under every leaf in the forest to find him. "Understood, my lord. Thank you."

I nodded and we headed away for the woods. Questioning would start now.