ch. 19 | Love and War

Kyrie POV:
____________
The gun was fired. I was busy trying to quiet down Kenzie that I didn't see who had the gun. I looked up, and I saw Corey laying on the floor and the gunman hovering over him.

"Aahhhhhh!" I screamed as I ran towards him, and the gunman ran out the room.

The 16 year old also ran out the room, and Rashad followed the both of them.

I shook Corey hard as to wake him up.

"Babe, wake up. Babe wake up." I said as I shook him again.

Kenzie was hollering, I was hollering. I didn't know what to do. I just knew I couldn't lose Corey.

I tried to do CPR, and I felt a faint pulse. Corey coughed, and I heard him whisper something.

"Babe, babe. I love you." He said as he took his took a breath, and his eyes slowly close

"Nooooooo, baby." I yelled out nervously.

"Corry, no. Wake up. Wake up." I said.

I couldn't believe this was happening right now. I got up from the floor and started to pace the room. I didn't know what to do. Kenzie was screaming her lungs out. Corey was possibly dead on our bedroom floor.

"Calm down, bitch. Calm down." I said outloud to myself.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

I calmed myself down, and I then realized I needed to call 911. I grabbed my phone out of my robe pocket and dialed 911.

Not even 10 minutes later, police & the ambulance arrived to the house.

I grabbed Kenzie and I walked downstairs to meet them. We walked back up stairs.

The police called an Evidence team, and they were collecting evidence while i was giving my statement, and the paramedics was checking Corey.

I wrapped up with the police, and sat with Kenzie on the bed while they worked on Corey.

"CLEAR!" The paramedic said as he shocked him.

"Nothing." Paramedic #2 said

"Charge to 300!" Paramedic #1 said.

"CLEAR!" They both said together.

"Nothing." Paramedic #2 said.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry but he's gone." Paramedic #1 said

"But he was just breathing before y'all got here! Do something! He can't be gone." I said frantically.

"Ma'am, we are sorry for your loss, but despite our best efforts he's gone. He's lost too much blood, and from the looks of it it's a GSW to the chest, and it's probably an injury to the heart." Paramedic #2 said.

I ran over to Corey, and just hugged his body. Icouldn't believe his body was lifeless right now. What would I do? Who would I have?

I held Corey and just cried. I motioned for Kenzie to come here. She walked where I was and she wiped the tears that was falling from my eyes.

"Thank you baby." I said.

She kissed my forehead. I laid Corey down, but never letting go of his hand.

"Ma'am, is there anybody you can call?" Paramedic #1 said.

"Yeah my brother Kayce who's actually supposed to be on his way anyways." I said while dialing his number.

Kayce: hey baby sis.
Kayce. You were supposed to BEEN here. Where are you?
Kayce: on my way baby sis, what's wrong? I can hear it in your voice.
Just get here.
I'm on my way.
Okay.

"My brother is on his way, Officer." I said as the paramedics wrapped Corey's body up and took him down stairs.

I couldn't cry. I was sad as hell but no tears was falling from my eyes. I don't know what was wrong. My husband had just died, and I was not crying.

"Ma'am, would you like for me and my partner to stay with you and your child until your brother arrives or are you okay alone?" The Officer asked.

"I'm fine officers, y'all can go. Thank you." I said.

"Okay, maam. If we have any further questions we will be in touch and if you have any questions or anything call me." Officer #2 said as he handed me his card.

"Okay—wait, before you go officers, here's a copy of my security cameras it should match everything I told you." I said as I grabbed Kenzie to walk them out.

As I opened the door, Kayce was walking up to the door.

"Ky, what's going on?" He asked as he walked in the door grabbing Kenzie from my arms as the officers walked out.

"Long or short version?" I said as I closed the door.

"Short." He said.

"Oh, well that's easy. Corey's dead." I said and at that very moment is when it hit me.

I started bawling. I couldn't believe my husband of barely a month was dead. The only father Kenzie knew was gone. His parents have lost their only child. I just wouldn't be the only one affected by this.

"Woah, woah sis." Kayce said as he wrapped his free arm around me.

"What happened, Kyrie?" He asked.

"Well me and Corey had had some bomb sex with each other and then—

"Wait, i don't want to hear all that." He said.

"Oh, well okay the short long version." I said. I was about to fix, Kenzie and I some food when somebody knocked on the door. I had Kenzie in her high chair, and I walked to the front door, when I got to the front door, I heard something in the kitchen. I ran back in the kitchen but I didn't see anything. I grabbed Kenzie and went into our hidden room, and yeah." I said twiddling my fingers.

"I'm so sorry baby sis. I'm here for you whatever you need." Kayce said.

"Well I NEED to get out of this house." I said as I scooped Kenzie up off his lap.

"Okay. I got you sis." He said.

"Can you drive? I'm not in the correct emotionally state right now to be driving, and we both know what happened last time." I said.

"Yeah." He said.

I went upstairs to pack our bags and . I was just throwing things in the bag, anything I didn't have I would just go to Target for it.

I came back down the stairs 10 minutes later, and Kayce was already in his car with Kenzie.

I looked around the house.

"I love you, Corey." I thought to myself.

I set the alarm, closed the door, and locked it.

I didn't know how I was going to live without Corey, but I was sure about to find out.