Chapter 30

30 CHAPTERS. It's a celebration.

Remy A. Taylor

I slept the entire plane ride after the stunt August pulled.

"Are you feeling okay, honey?" My dad asked me as we got off the plane.

"I'm great, dad. Are you okay?"

He was still on a cane and I know he hated it. I also knew he was glad to be out of the house for the first time since the incident.

"I feel great, baby girl. Never been to this part of Louisiana before."

My mom brought hers and my dads suitcase to the waiting area where we were. August insisted on carrying mine so our group walked out to the parking lot.

"August!" I heard a familiar voice screaming at us and I turned, with a smile, to Ms. Sheila.

She ran to hug Aug first, a long and rather tight hug that he seemed perfectly fine with.

Next it was me.

"Remy, you ratha' glowy since the last time I seen ya." She said and I felt a blush creep into my face.

"That's just a

good sleep, Ms. Sheila, nothing more."

She made a face, looking down at my stomach once more before moving on to greet my parents.

"Hello, the two of you must be Dyme's parents. I'm Sheila, Augusts' mother." The three of them shook hands.

"I'm Reed, very nice to meet you."

"And I'm Emily, it's grand to meet you as well, I love your accent."

I side eyed August and he was already looking at me.

He mouthed the words, "Grand?" And I giggled.

"Ya'll have quite the accents ya self. Come on, come on, the weatha man says it's 'posed to rain." She hurried all of his to her truck and we piled inside.

I glanced at my mama as we buckled in and she seemed almost disgusted. She's never been in anything less than a Mercedes.

"We have to get a rental, Reed." My mom said and he nodded, patting her knee reassuringly.

Sheila was looking at them as well before shaking her head and pulling out of the parking lot.

I let August and his mom catch up and talk to each other, giving me time with my thoughts.

If my parents were going to be their usual snotty selves then they could stay somewhere else.

"Welcome ta my home." Ms. Sheila announced as she pulled into the driveway.

It was a big house but not as big as my dad's and my mother noticed instantly.

"This is beautiful, Ms. Sheila." I said as I climbed out of the truck.

My dad and August grabbed our luggage while Augusts' mom led us into the house for a tour.

"Dis is tha den but it ain't much been used since Aug and Ash left. Dis is tha living room whea I spend most of my time when I'm not workin'.." She went through the house showing us where we'd be staying before concluding the tour.

"This house is very... cozy." My mom said. Her queen of the world attitude was starting to get on my nerves.

"I'm sawry, Emma, is my house too little fa you? Cause last I checked I in-.."

"Okay mama!" Aug appeared, wrapping his arm around Sheila and she stopped whatever she was going to say. I was looking forward to her putting my mom in her place, though.