Chapter 9

The next two months were spent with Francis and Matthew following the usual schedule of school, weekend, school, weekend. Matthew and Abel became best friends, spending most of their time at school together. Matthew even became Mrs. Vargas's favourite student (although she would never admit it).

It was recess when the bell rang and Mrs. Vargas corralled the hoard of students outside. Matthew never liked recess. He didn't like running around on the playground or having other kids trample over him due to his small frame. Abel would always be invited to play football or play grounders on the jungle gym, so Matthew often found himself sitting alone with Kumajiro in a corner of the playground. He didn't mind this, as his time with Kumajiro was always fun. He also didn't like getting involved in the physical activity of the other kids, so Matthew was perfectly content.

Until.

"Hey. Bear boy." Someone called from in front of the Canadian.

Matthew looked up and saw a group of three boys looming over him.

"That's a nice bear you've got." The tallest boy said.

Matthew, feeling awkward at the attention he was getting, replied "Oh, um... Thank you."

The boy standing beside the taller boy stepped forwards. "Give it to us." He demanded.

"I-I... I..." Matthew stuttered, not knowing how to react to such a demand. He didn't want to let go of Kumajiro, his only friend during recess. He didn't want a stranger to touch his bear either. Overall, he was just very conflicted over his instincts to behave and what he really wants. "I'm so sorry!" The Canadian shouted, but his voice was so quiet, it was just the volume of a normal conversation. "You c-can't have him."

The boy who hasn't spoken up yet, snickered. "See, I told you guys. His French has some stupid accent. It sounds like a pig."

The tallest boy grinned at the Canadian. "Tch. The rumours were true. It's probably because the only thing he talks to is that bear. Hand it over. We want to see it."

Matthew had tears blooming in his eyes at this point as he was cornered at the back of the playground. He clutched Kumajiro closer for comfort and to protect him from getting snatched from the other boys.

Sadly, his efforts were in vain when two of the boys ripped Kumajiro out of his hands and threw the bear onto the ground. They then proceeded to kick the bear, making its snow white fur turn a dusty brown. Matthew stood up and ran towards his bear but was stopped when the third boy pushed him, causing him to scrape  his hands against the rough terrain of the playground. 

"Stay down! You're such an idiot." The boy called Matthew a word that was not in the Canadian's vocabulary. "A weird sounding idiot too!" The boy laughed. The other boys laughed as well.

"Oh, look at me, when I speak French it sounds like I'm speaking out of my nose." The tallest boy sneered, imitating a French Canadian accent.

As the boys kicked and dirtied his precious best friend, Matthew cried, feeling helpless in the situation. One of the boys then pierced through the bear's arm with a stick. Matthew felt helpless in the situation, as one of the boys kept pushing him if he tried to get up. His hands were hurt and bleeding.

Suddenly, the boy who stood in front of him moved away. Matthew could hear a woman's voice through his emotional state. However, it was only there for a brief period before it was replaced with a man's voice.

"Boys! Stop this right now!" A deep voice shouted. Matthew looked up with his teary eyes and saw as the three boys stared up at the blonde haired man, their legs buckling in fear at his presence.