Chapter 9

Surprise!

**

"Mama" the toddler whimpers into her mothers neck, tears falling from her eyes and onto her soft, red feverish cheeks. It was a few minutes after the second puking incident of the day, and Camila was nearly at her wits end. She had no idea just how hard it was to look after a sick toddler, and just about all the patients in her was gone.

Lauren couldn't help it, she knew that, that's why she was refraining on taking her growing frustration out on her but the later it got, the more sick the girl seemed to get despite the medicine in her system.

"I know baby, I know you feel yucky and mama's sorry she can't do anything more to make you feel better" she murmurs into the toddlers shoulder as she continues to pace around the room, her hand trailing up and down her bare back.

She knew another bath was out of the question as she had already had two today, the second one causing one hell of a tantrum, so really, she was stuck. She guesses she could take her to the doctors or something, but her fever was only at 100, low enough to keep it under control at home and she knew if they went there was nothing they would do that she hadn't already done herself.

Lauren whimpers into her neck, but before she could be soothed there was a knock at the front door.

"Lets go see who that is mamas." Camila speaks, grateful for the temporary distraction. Shifting the toddler onto her hip with a small sigh, she makes her way over to the front door and unlocks it before pulling it open. There, she was greeted with Dinah, her best friend, a sight that immediately causes the small girl to hide.

"Uhh walz, did you forget to tell me something?" The poly states as she steps into the house, never taking her eyes off of the duo as she reaches back to close the door behind her.

Camila's shoulders rise for a second as she tries to analyse the expression on her best friends face, "uhhh, surprise?" She questions rather than says after a few seconds of silence, subconsciously pulling Lauren's small frame close to her.

"Yeah, it sure is. When did this happen?" Dinah smirks.

"About a week ago" Camila replies honestly as she turns in place and makes her way through to the kitchen with the intention of making both Dinah and herself a coffee.

By the way the toddler was limp against her she guesses her to be asleep, and she couldn't stop herself from letting out a relieved sigh at the fact she was finally getting some much needed rest.

Dinah follows, "and you didn't tell me because?" She leans against the counter and watches as the smaller woman navigates her way easily around the kitchen.

"I wanted to get her settled Dj, please don't take it personally" Camila grabs the creamer from the fridge and sets it down onto the side, adjusting the sleeping toddler slightly in her arms when she feels her slipping slightly.

"Oh I'm not." Dinah shrugs, "so...what's her name and how old is she?" She questions.

Camila sets Dinah's drink down in front of her before grabbing her own, "Lauren, and she's three" she smiles, sitting herself down at the table. She adjusts Lauren so she was sat straddling her lap before stretching the arm that was holding her out, the limb taking on the familiar feeling of pins and needles.

"Damn she's tiny for three." Dinah says with a hint of concern in her voice as she pulls out the chair in front of her and sits herself down, both hands nursing the cup of coffee in front of her.

"Tell me about it" Camila agrees, "we're working on getting her weight back up but it's definitely a long process and as for her height, I think it's genetic" she explains, taking a sip of her coffee with a grateful sigh whilst her hand absentmindedly trails up and down Lauren's bare back.