1

*

Charlotte's POV.

I love my work and I'm exceptionally proud to be lucky enough to coach two girls teams, and not only to I do that, but I also volunteer as physio for a team in the FA WPLN.

However I couldn't do everything without the help of Macie. She is my assistant, but also my closest and oldest friend who knows all about my childhood as a daughter of a footballing icon and who occasionally covers for me when I'm needed elsewhere.

It's not perfect and ideally I'd love to spend every game with my girls.

I try to make as many as possible, especially those of my older group, so they have the right support network from the side-lines but Macie covers brilliantly me when I can't.

*

"Alright girls. You all did a brilliant job tonight and I'm very happy with the progress we've made this week. To finish up tonight's session, I would like to tell you about something very special happening next weekend...".

The group of five to ten year olds in front of me, have their bibs hanging off their thin frames, boots covered in mud, kit as well plus the odd splatter on their faces and in hair. Despite this and the cold, smiles are plastered on their lips and some of them start whispering to one another.

"Can anyone tell me a team in the FA Women's Super League or WSL?" I ask, watching them think for a moment before, a timid gloved hand is raised, "yes Charlotte?".

I already know the seven year old answers, thanks to the fact she is wearing an Arsenal shirt with 'Nobbs' on the back.

"Arsenal Women" she replies.

"Very good, anyone else? I say, my eye scanning the group and picking out one of my tallest girls, "Lizzie? I ask and replies with Liverpool. "Good, now how about a team that plays in... let's say light blue" I smile, giving them a hint and my best detective face, hoping this will do the trick.

The girl closest to me, whose hair is in pigtails waves her hand in the air and jumps so fast her glasses nearly fall off, "yes Erin!" I laugh, "Man City Women" she says excitedly, beaming at me and then Charlotte.

"Excellent. Man City Women. And can anyone tell me someone who plays for them?".

*

"Well my surprise is that I have signed us up to be a sister club of Man City Women this season, and you are going to be mascots for their first home game next weekend" all of the girls look stunned, but happy and a few hands have flown to mouths as they struggle to contain their excitement.

"I have a letter for your parents" I look over to them, "that will explain everything" I smile and before I know it, they all engulf me in a hug and grab a letter from Macie.

They then run off to tell their parent without a second glance.

Soon it's just myself and my bestie left to tidy up the pitch, put away the equipment and lock up.

"I think the news went down well, don't you? Are you looking forward to it?" Macie asks, "of course. I never had those role models growing up and mind you, I didn't really did it with dad but it's important for them to have women to look up to, to inspire them and show them there is a pathway into the sport".

"Plus why shouldn't they get a chance to be there?" I add.

"I hope they'll be absolutely buzzing. I would be" Macie says, "me too. I'd love a run out on that pitch".

*

After scrolling though endless channels of nothing, I decide to stick on some trashy reality tv show I won't pay attention to, then proceed to answer a parent's email and tweet about next weekend.

@lottiewilliams: signed my younger girls team up to be a sister club of @ManCityWomen this season. @prestwichgirls will be mascots at the first home game of the season. Very excited! 🙈

@prestwichgirls: coach @lottiewilliams announced tonight that we'll be mascots for @ManCityWomen 's first home game and that we are a sister club for the season 😍

The oven timer goes signalling my food, so get up to grab it before returning and changing the tv to the PL on BT Sport, City against West Ham.

No surprise, City are leading at half time.

When the show returns from the adverts, I'm pleasantly surprised to see Steph Houghton from City's Women's team on as a panellist and my mind gets to wandering about how my girls have no idea what they're in store for next weekend.

Once they find out I know some of the players personally, they will seriously freak out and I honestly don't know if I'm ready for all the questions.

Meanwhile in London...
Steph's POV.

During the half time adverts, I spot a tweet from an old friend that makes me smile.

@lottiewilliams: signed my younger girls team up to be a sister club of @ManCityWomen this season. @prestwichgirls will be mascots at the first home game of the season. Very excited! 🙈

I quickly like the tweet and make sure to comment on the team's Twitter, just as KB sends me a text asking about Charlotte coming to visit.

She's been around for what seems like forever, she was there was Man City Women first launched and saw us presented to the press, sometimes training with us during her spare time or on visits to see her dad.

It's certainly going to be an interesting day when that one returns.

*