Part 4

4//

Since when had Itachi known her home address?

Playing with the hem on Itachi's oversized sweatshirt, Sakura barely watched their surroundings whizz by. She stared down at her lap, gut churning with anxiety each time she blinked and saw Toneri's face looming over hers, and forgot to give Itachi directions.

But when she glanced up at last, as his sleek black convertible slowed to a stop, she realised she hadn't needed to.

A little confused, she looked at him. "How did you...?" Her words fell short.

Of course Itachi knew where she lived. Ever so often, when Naruto's place wasn't available, he and Sasuke came over to her house to study. He must've remembered from a time he dropped his brother off, it all made sense.

Sakura tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. For some reason, she felt reluctant. She didn't want to get out of the car despite how much she craved the safety of her own bed. She didn't want to be alone.

"I..." she started again, exhaling. She smiled at Itachi, hoping it would reach her eyes, but it didn't. She felt worn. Deflated. "Thank you, Itachi-san."

"You have thanked me already." His answer was short, quip. Straight to the point. His face was hard and she couldn't read past his neutral expression, if he was frustrated, or if he was okay with things.

She turned her eyes to her house once more— the empty, barren apartment that was occupied by only herself. Her parents, back home in the countryside, would not be there to comfort her with a warm welcome and a hug. And a phone call just wouldn't suffice.

Instead, she'd walk into loneliness's embrace once more. Perhaps she could invite Ino over for the night. Just one night. She didn't think she could be alone right now.

"Give me your phone," said the Uchiha suddenly.

She jolted, not expecting him to say anything, and snapped her head back to him. "Eh?" she questioned, wondering if she had just heard wrong.

He held out his hand. "Your phone, Sakura-san."

Not quite knowing what to say, she wordlessly handed him her device and watched quietly as he tapped the screen before giving it back. She glanced down, and read Itachi in her contacts list.

"Your number...?" she slowly said in confusion.

He lowered his head slightly towards hers. "You may call me whenever you feel like it, Sakura-san," he told her, and she blinked at him.

She couldn't help feeling a little foolish.

"You live alone. If you are ever frightened, or need someone," Itachi further explained. His eyes had a certain fire to them as he leaned in closer, "please, do not hesitate to call me."

So Sakura got out of the car, and Itachi walked her to the front door. She insisted he didn't have to but he wouldn't have it. She was a little dazed at the whole situation, fumbling with her keys as he watched her intently, and couldn't fight a blush when he — again — brought his hand up to her jaw.

Had Itachi always been this considerate? She wished she had known sooner. Had she been a little younger, a bit more naive than she already was, had she not known who exactly Uchiha Itachi was in all his asexual and emotionally suppressed individuality —

Sakura might've even fallen for him right then and there.