Vol 4 Chapter 28 When Reality is Better than a Dream

Start from the beginning

     A young sound ninja was waiting for Rasa at the meeting point confusing the Kazekage.

     "Where is Orochimaru?"

     "The Master is already in position for the first part of the plan."

     "How will my ninja know the undercover operatives to avoid friendly fire." Rasa was growing more and more concerned for the ninja he would be sending. This would benefit the village greatly but it could also prove costly if anything were to go wrong. They could easily lose most of their most valuable operatives. He wasn't sure why Orochimaru insisted on taking on the role of a genin for the Chunin exams, but it must be important.

     "One will be a grass ninja from Kusagakure, but that disguise will not be a factor for when your ninja commences the operation. The next one will be very close to the Hokage, close enough to slip past his guards and make the first strike."

     Rasa noted that the ninja still hadn't told him who it would be. During the tournament, the only people close enough for that would be one of the Anbu or one of his own personal guards. Rasa glanced back towards the two guards he had brought with him, who were always with him. He heard a raspy hacking sound from behind him and turned back just in time to see the ninja in front of him regurgitating a sword, the snakelike features of the ninja reflected in the moonlight as he suddenly realized just who was standing in front of him. The ninja had features like those from the village hidden in the grass, he was facing Orochimaru himself.

     "I think the Kazekage could get much closer than your guards."

     Rasa had seconds to raise his defenses releasing gold dust he had stored in his belt. Using his secret arts he concentrated forming the gold dust into a shield that barely reflected Orochimaru's sword strike. He heard the sound of two bodies falling behind him and glanced back to see two snakes at their ankles. How long had they been dead?

     He knew he shouldn't have trusted Orochimaru, but the temptation of helping his village had been so great. With his free hand, he focused on the gold dust he still had twisting and forming it into a solid sword. He was too close for his other techniques and Orochimaru would not give him a chance to retreat. With that, he switched to close quarters combat, but as he struck Orochimaru's blade with his own he noticed his sword taking on a sickly green color, the scent of acid filled the air. He was facing the Sword of Kusanagi and he needed to get it out of Orochimaru's hands.

  He was facing the Sword of Kusanagi and he needed to get it out of Orochimaru's hands

     Hayate watched as what looked like a grass ninja meet with the Kazekage. He wasn't sure what he expected from the meeting but it was not watching the ninja attempt to kill the leader of the sand ninja in front of him. It wasn't until he saw the Sword of Kusanagi that he realized the ninja was really Orochimaru but in a different face. He felt a moment of pity for the ninja whose face Orochimaru had stolen, and he only hoped he didn't suffer for too long.

     When the Kazekage's personal guard fell Hayate had to make a decision. Orochimaru was far more dangerous than anyone he had faced before so logic told him to retreat and come back with assistance, but that would likely mean the death of Rasa, the Kazekage. If Orochimaru ever gained full control of the sand ninja then that could mean some very bad things for Konohagakure. It would also be difficult for the Hokage to take his word vs that of the Kazekage. He was certain the Hokage would believe him, but evidence was another matter and accusations against the leader of another village would be disastrous.