Chapter Eighty

"Now, this time I want you to follow through with your throw

"Now, this time I want you to follow through with your throw." Jake stood with a Pack Cell wolf and demonstrated. His blade thunked into the tree, dead center. "You try."

The girl copied his movements exactly, and though it wasn't center on the tree, the blade landed closer than her other attempts. "It worked!" she declared with a smile.

"See?" Jake smiled back at her and offered another blade. "It just takes practice. Keep trying. I'm going to help someone else." The girl just nodded and the Beta turned away as he moved through the wolves. They tried to keep a bit quieter than usual for the sake of Shayne.

One of the few younger wolves crouched alone closer to the house. He watched the group with Jake, a constant growl in his throat as his gaze tracked the Beta. Unable to ignore the boy any longer, Jake stuck his hands in his pockets and walked casually closer to him. "You don't want to train?" he asked.

Peter snarled at him at once, a partial shift attempting and failing to take to his eyes. He covered by narrowing his eyes instead, though the snarl never died.

"You don't have to," Jake said, moving ever closer. "I just figured sitting out here and watching might get boring."

"I know how to fight," the boy finally said. Even his words were laced with a wolf's growl.

Jake chuckled and sat down as well, but left a good distance. "I've been fighting longer than you have, and I still train."

Even so, Peter still leaned away. "So?" he spat back.

"If you don't train, you lose all the muscle. You forget a few things." Jake pushed a hand through his hair and sighed. "It's Peter, right?"

The boy narrowed his eyes further like he was drawing back invisible wolf ears. He stared at Jake for a long moment before nodding once.

"Peter, when I was younger, I went through a lot of Alphas. Some died, and some I left on my own. I wasn't right in my choices until I found Terra." Jake inched a bit closer as he spoke. "You have freedom now. I'm not sure if you're taking advantage of it."

"When I was younger I went through needles, and poison, and death," Peter stated.

Jake turned his gaze to the wolves training and frowned. "You know...so did I. Not in the same way, of course, but we're wolves. We go through a lot. I think that's something Terra will put a stop to, as best she can." He rubbed the back of his neck and the frown dissipated as one of the wolves giving a cheer of success. The Beta glanced back over once more and asked, "What have you done to enjoy this new freedom? Even something that seems small."

Peter didn't seem all too inclined to answer as he stared the Beta down. After a while, his gaze slipped away to the snow instead. "Sleep."

"Sleep is a start," Jake told him simply. "What about food? We have a lot of options around here. You can eat what you'd like."