X. Helm's Deep

It was nearing evening when they finally reached Helm's Deep. Like in the movie, the fortress sat in a great bay in the mountains, out of which a gorge opened in the hills. Ever steeper the hills became as they held the structure within the narrows; the crow-haunted cliffs rose high at the back, shutting out the light.

A long ramp wound up to Helm's Gate; the refugees Éowyn led still clogged it as they entered the gate. Within the high walls of ancient stone, a lofty tower looked over the entire ravine. The Hornburg. A mile-long wall reached from the Hornburg to the southern cliff, baring entry into the gorge. In the middle, a stream passed through a wide culvert.

The Deeping Wall was twenty feet high, and so thick four men could walk shoulder-to-shoulder on top, sheltered by a parapet which only a tall man could look over. Here and there were clefts in the stone so men could shoot. A stair running down from a door in the outer court of the Hornburg could reach the battlement; if the structure was built as seen in the movie and read in the book, three flights of steps led also up to the wall from the Deep behind. But its front was smooth, and the great stones of it were set with such skill no foothold could be found.

The massive structure carved out of black rock was impressive. Rowan knew the refuge could withstand swarms of armies—it did in the book and the movie—but she was glad it wouldn't be tested. All of Edoras would rest peacefully, safe behind the walls.

Refugees stopped at their approach; families drew near, looking for loved ones. There were smiles, exuberant calls of names, and Rohirrim dismounting to hug their relatives, but there were also some cries of grief and wails when groups were informed of a death. They waited for a large enough gap behind the others before riding up.

The calls of 'Make way for the king!' preceded them as they rode up into Helm's Deep. Refugees crowded the causeway but got out of the way of the horses when they came through.

The central courtyard of the Hornburg seized Rowan's attention. It was much bigger than it appeared on the screen—she guessed half a football field could've fit. One damaged statue of Helm Hammerhand overlooked the stairs leading up into the Great Hall. Even though the stone held cracks, chips, and had been smoothened under multiple feet, hooves, and the passage of time, Helm's Deep was old but still stood. It remained sturdy.

Coming onto the Hornburg, the scene played out just like the movie, with Éowyn coming down the steps to greet them and King Théoden helping an injured soldier dismount. Only this time, Aragorn and Éomer were present—both received a hug from the niece of the king. Gimli joked about him not receiving such a greeting, so the fair lady hugged him too with a laugh. Legolas nodded to her for greeting when she looked at a loss on whether or not to hug the elf. Rowan received a smile since she was still on Nárind, waiting for Boromir to dismount. Even though she didn't need help, Rowan didn't make a scene when the Gondorian captain grabbed her waist to help her down.

"This is more to my liking," Gimli said while stamping on the stone. "Ever my heart rises as we draw near the mountains. There is good rock here. This country has tough bones."

Legolas had a frown on his face as he looked around. "I do not like this place. There are no trees; no life—only stone. But you are a dwarf, and dwarves are strange folk to appreciate such surroundings."

"We won't linger here long, Legolas," Rowan began. "A night at most, I think, to make sure the refugees are settled, and we will ride out for Isengard come morning."

Expressions changed then: the elf's lightened and the dwarf's dropped.

"My King, allow me to introduce Haldir, captain of the Galadhrim."

At the name, Rowan looked toward the stairs to see a Rohan captain standing beside three elves fully decked-out in their gorgeous golden armor—only one wore a helm, Rúmil and Haldir did not. The elf-captain bowed in the tradition of the elves with a hand over his heart. They drastically stood out against the backdrop of cracked, aged stone.