IX. Wolves of Isengard

Something she had started to notice, getting to Helm's Deep took longer than what's shown in the movie. Rowan knew why—watching people walk for days on screen doesn't work—but she had ridiculously griped about when they were going to get there. In her head, though.

Each day and at different times, the scouts returned to report to King Théoden and the Third Marshal of the Riddermark on what they saw. She and Boromir, Legolas and Gimli, and Aragorn rode near the king, so Rowan listened in on the reports. None had any cause of alarm.

Cries and horn-blasts echoing from ahead threw everyone to a stop for a second. Rowan knew what was happening before chaos erupted, with the townspeople screaming and men mounting their horses.

"Sounds like they're here," Rowan said to Boromir as she turned to lift the bewildered girl off Nárind.

"Go back to your mother," she ordered. On the other side, Boromir told the brother the same, and the scared siblings ran back to the majority of the caravan.

Rowan just mounted behind the Gondorian captain when a scout rode back and reported that wolf-riders were in the valley before them.

"Many of our folk lay slain. Scattered companies go this way and that, leaderless. What has become of Erkenbrand, none seem to know. It is likely he will be overtaken ere he can reach Helm's Deep, if he has not already perished."

"Then let us be swift," said Éomer. "Let us drive through such foes as are between us and the fastness. There are caves in Helm's Deep where hundreds may lie hid."

King Théoden agreed. "All riders to the head of the column!" he shouted. He looked down at Éowyn. "You must lead the people to Helm's Deep. And make haste."

"I can fight!" she declared.

The king had started to ride away with Éomer, the scout, and his Royal Guards when her outburst stopped him. "No! You must do this for me."

With her mouth in a tight line, she reluctantly nodded and moved off to guide the scared townspeople.

Rowan wanted to tell her that she got her chance later—in an epic battle against the Witch-King—but kept it to herself in case her knowing beforehand would change the story too much.

Besides, she thought as she turned back forward as the large group of riders headed up the hill before the valley the Wargs were in, the story could already be changing.

Cresting the hill, Rowan took in the soon-to-be battlegrounds: figures on horses and others on the enlarged-hyenas ran around; some were locked in mounted sword fights, others chased a fleeing enemy. The yips and howls of the Wargs mixed with the whinnies and neighs of horses. Bodies of men, horses, Wargs, and orcs dotted the valley.

She unsheathed her sword along with Boromir and the riders all around them. Legolas' bow twanged and a Warg chasing a horseman collapsed and tumbled downhill.

Either seeing the sudden death of a comrade or the battle cries of the Rohirrim drew the orcs' attention. The addition of more galloping hooves was probably another reason. Most of the wolf-riders ignored the sparse riders and charged toward them—the bigger number and the threat.

Within seconds, the horsemen and the Wargs clashed. Boromir swung his sword at the Enemy on the left, so Rowan defended their right.

Every chance she got, Rowan looked for the horribly scarred face of the Warg-rider, Sharku. She had already warned the four hunters to be on the lookout for him if they were attacked, because his Warg takes Aragorn off a cliff. He didn't die in the movie, but she didn't want to take a chance that things could change.