Chapter Thirteen

You can't calm your wrists with a razor blade
And you can't pay the price of what's already paid
You can't fight for peace with ambition, blood and gore
I can't save the world if I'm not happy anymore

- I Can't Save The World If I'm Not Happy, Elizabeth Grace.

After that one night, many others followed. We used the same routine every night, sneaking out of the Citadel and leaving Insomnia to explore different towns and landscapes. We'd become a lot closer thanks to these nights, bonding over new memories and stolen kisses in the middle of the night. The places we visited were absolutely amazing, and Prompto had even kept his promise on taking me to the chocobo ranch. Although the ranch was long closed, some of the birds had still been outside, much to Prompto's delight. Seeing Prompto hug the fluffy birds was definitely a memory I would treasure forever.

Unfortunately, going out almost every night also had its negatives. I was getting more and more exhausted because of the lack of sleep, which affected my daily duties quite a bit. My grades were dropping – something my father wasn't happy about at all – and training with Gladio became impossible. Not only that, but my general alertness had made a significant drop as well.

Although I tried to hide my exhaustion to the best of my abilities, it wasn't hard for Ignis and Gladio to notice. While Ignis reacted like a worried mom would to their child, asking me why I haven't been sleeping well, Gladio just acted frustrated at my tiredness, calling me out on slacking off on everything.

So far, my father hadn't noticed yet and I had literally begged Ignis not to report back to him about this. I had to admit, I was surprised when he actually listened to me. I was fairly certain it was because I'd sounded so desperate when I asked him.

Right now, Prompto and I were standing near the entrance, waiting for my father to get back from making a public announcement about the war. He hadn't been able to talk about much, so all he told the citizens was to stay strong and keep hope or something like that. In the meanwhile, I'd been trying to send out a new search party for Lunafreya after getting another clue about her whereabouts, but I needed my father's final permission to start the search. This is why I was waiting for him to return, which he would at any second now. I just hoped he wouldn't notice my exhaustion from going outside again last night.

"What's your favourite food?" Prompto suddenly asked me, his usual smile plastered on his face.

"My favourite food?" I repeated, frowning. "I don't really know. Why are you asking?"

"Just curious."

I glanced passed the wall towards the entrance, but there was still no movement whatsoever, so I sighed and stepped back. I'd expected father to be back by now.

"What about your favourite book?" Prompto decided to break the silence again.

"Uh... I don't know, reading isn't really my thing."

"Favourite movie, then?"

I finally turned to look at Prompto, giving him a confused look.

"Why are you asking all these questions?" I asked, laughing a little. He blushed and shrugged, looking down.

"I feel like I don't know you enough."

I smiled and stepped in front of him, close enough to make him lift his head again.

"You don't have to know things like my favourite food to know me," I told him, lightly shaking my head. "You're the person who knows me best."

"Really?" A smile appeared on his face again.