Chapter Six

When am I gonna start living?
When am I gonna move on?
When am I gonna kill this feeling?
When am I gonna stop this dreaming?

- I Was King, One OK Rock.

The wind was howling like crazy outside and rain was pouring from the sky, for once making me glad I was safely standing inside. The weather had been like this for a whole week now, and it was tiring to say the least. Thanks to the constant rain, Prompto couldn't always come over in fear of catching a cold, which was understandable but still saddening.

I sighed as I finally managed to tear my eyes off the street and I directed them to the clock instead, calculating how long I had left to just stand here. I still had about 50 minutes to get dressed properly and mentally prepare myself for having to participate in the meeting.

My father was discussing the war against Niflheim and wanted me to be there as well, to ask for my opinion on the whole thing. I was thankful that he sometimes included me in the meetings. My opinion actually mattered a lot and it was good to know that the prince had some say in important decisions around here, even if said prince wasn't allowed to do much else.

I was also glad to be included in this meeting in particular. The ongoing war with Niflheim had been a sore spot ever since they'd attacked Tenebrae and killed the queen of House Fleuret. She'd been a close friend and ally of my father, so after her death, even talking about Niflheim within these walls was considered treason.

The queen's daughter, Lunafreya Nox Fleuret, was a childhood friend of mine and used to visit me before her brother practically forced her to stay away. This brother, Ravus Nox Fleuret, was known as a commander of the Niflheim empire and was a sworn enemy of Lucis. Word was he was keeping Lunafreya locked away somewhere in an Imperial military base, where she couldn't be found by any of our Kingsglaive soldiers. I was the one responsible for many attempts to find her, but to no avail.

It was no secret that the Niflheim Empire wanted to take over the entire Kingdom of Lucis, including Insomnia. They'd been attacking the kingdom almost non-stop, and we were losing. Their weapons were simply stronger than ours and - all thanks to Verstael Besithia, the bloodthirsty Imperial Research Minister - the Empire was now using strong daemons against us. With every attack they made, they crawled closer towards Insomnia, but now, out of nowhere, they had retreated in the middle of an attack. I had some ideas on why they'd so suddenly withdrawn, which is why father wanted me to be in this meeting.

My thoughts were disrupted by a loud knock on the door, causing me to jump a little.

"Come in," I said, not bothering to turn around. The door opened and it stayed quiet for a few seconds before there was a soft sigh that I immediately recognized.

"I'm here to take you to the meeting," Ignis said, sounding exaggerated like always. I frowned and finally turned around, glancing between the clock and my adviser.

"I thought the meeting started in an hour?" I asked in confusion and slight stress. Ignis sighed again, eyeing my appearance and shaking his head. I mumbled a swearword.

"I'll be out in a second, wait outside," I ordered and he bowed.

"Very well."

He was definitely disappointed that I'd forgotten when the meeting started, but I didn't have time to worry about that.

I quickly made my way to my dresser and pulled out one of many suits, throwing it on as quickly as physically possible and picking out a random tie. I had no idea how to tie it, though, which was weird considering how often I had to wear one, so after a few minutes of quiet struggle, I gave up and called out to Ignis.