Chapter 44

"Let's go," I said, grabbing Jake's hand as he continued to lay on my couch.

"Why?" He whined.

"We're going to the rez for the pack bonfire," I said.

"Do we have to?" He asked.

"It was your idea," I said. He finally gave in and got up off the couch, grabbing his car keys and leading me outside. It was weird going outside and not seeing my car. I'd have it back soon enough though.

"You okay?" Jake asked, sensing the change in my thoughts.

"Yeah, it's just weird not having my car here," I said.

"I know. I'll take you to get it when we can. I'm probably going to have to jump it," he said, knowing my car died frequently.

"You're right," I said as we got into the Rabbit.

"Is it okay if we stop at my place. Gotta let Dad know I'm still alive," he said. "Sorry, bad choice of words."

"You're fine Jake," I said. "I'd love to stop at your house."

"Sounds great babes," he said. He started the car and immediately shut the radio off.

"I'm going to have to face the facts eventually," I said.

"Let's not make tonight any harder than it has to be," he said.

"Agreed, but I'll have to find out soon enough," I said.

"You can ask your dad tomorrow if you want. He thinks it's be best if you heard it from him," Jake said.

"Because we're close," I said.

"Yeah," Jake said. There was a peaceful silence that fell over the car as Jake drove to his house.

"Wanna come in?" He asked.

"Sure," I said. I got out of the car and headed inside with Jake.

"Allie, how's my favorite daughter?" Billy asked as we walked in.

"I'm still here Dad," Becca responded from her room. She must've heard him.

"I'm good. How're you?" I responded.

"Much better now that I've seen your bright and shining face," he said. "We're worried about you."

"Thank you, but you don't need to be," I said.

"Yes we do," he said.

"Hey Dad, I'm okay. Don't worry about me," Jake joked.

"You're a big boy. I didn't think I needed to," Billy said.

"I just stopped to grab some blankets for tonight," Jake said. Total lie, but it's whatever.

"Yeah, of course," Billy said. Jake took off to find some blankets for the bonfire tonight as I talked to Billy about anything and everything.

"Alright. Thank you Dad. I'll see you in a few days. I love you all," Jake said.

"I love you too son. I'll see you around," Billy said.

Jake and I headed out to the Rabbit, and he piled the blankets in the back before grabbing something and getting in the driver seat.

"Here, this is for you," Jake said, handing me the older hoodie. It had been his before he phased, maybe even before the growth spurt.

"Thanks," I said, taking it happily. I took the quarter zip that I was wearing off and slid the new hoodie on, all while thanking myself for wearing a tank top.

"It used to be your favorite," Jake said. I looked down, seeing the familiar emblem on the front.

"Queen is still the best band to exist," I said.

"I know," he said. "I figured you would enjoy it."

"I do. Thanks babe," I said.

"Anything for my girl," he said.