Chapter 21

It's been a few days since Harry passed away, and today is his funeral. I don't know how I'm going to handle it except that Jake promised he'd be by my side the whole time. He's only left for a few hours at a time over the last few days, opting to tell his dad that he needed to be with me. Obviously his dad understood, so we were able to spend time together.

"Ready?" Jake asked, he was dressed nicely in a brand new suit. Due to his recent growth spurt, his old suit didn't fit him any more.

"No, but we can leave," I said, standing up from my vanity and flattening the hem of my black dress. My curled hair bounced slightly as I walked across my room, attempting to walk in my black heels without face planting.

"Hey, don't stress. There won't be that many people," Jake said, grabbing my arm as I almost fell yet again.

"I know. I just, it's a lot," I said, sighing slightly.

"I know. But, we're doing this together. None of us are alone in this," he said, taking my hand and squeezing it reassuringly.

"Thanks Jake," I said. We headed out to my car so we could head down to the Quileute reservation. As he drove, Jake quietly mumbled the words to the pop songs that played softly through the speakers.

When we arrived at the beach, we were immediately pulled in separate directions. Jake was dragged of to help with something, and Seth wrapped his arms around me tightly.

Seth's always been like the baby brother I never got. We don't hang out much, but when we do, it's like we've spent every day of our lives as siblings.

"How're you holding up?" I asked, returning his hug.

"Today's been rough. Some days are better than others," he said.

"I'm really sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't really help. If you need anything at all, you have my number," I said.

"I know Allie. Thank you," he said. "Um, do you think you could sit with me?"

"Yeah, I'm sure that will be fine," I said. We talked for a few more minutes, mostly to distract him from everything. He dragged me along with him when everyone began taking their seats, forcing me to sit in the very front between him and Jake. Jake was worried, but I reassured him that it'd be just fine. 

Billy, Sue, and Old Quil gave Harry a traditional Quileute funeral that didn't last very long. Afterwards, Seth and Jake started bickering about me, so I slipped away and found my dad.

He was talking to Sue, so I walked up to them anyways.

"I know it doesn't help, but I'm sorry for your loss. If you need anything at all, just call," I said.

"Thank you honey," Sue said, hugging me tightly as she wiped her eyes yet again.

"How's Dad holding up?" I asked after Sue pulled away from the hug.

"I've had better days," he said.

"I'm sure you have," I said, hugging him tightly. "It's okay to talk about it though."

"I know hon," he said. "Jake's looking for you. Go be with your friends." I nodded, knowing Sue would be the best person for him to be around right now.

The day passed very quickly, thank heavens. I'm not sure I would've been able to survive if the day had dragged on. Leah ran off into the woods about half way through the day. She was followed by Sam and Paul, which I found off because she didn't like either of them. I shrugged it off, hoping to dismiss it as nothing. The more I thought about it though, the weirder it seemed to me.